Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JM1
Regular Visitor

Silent Installation Power BI Gateway - Personal with SCCM 2012

We've got a question from our users to deploy the "Power BI Gateway - Personal" to their laptops.

They are aware of the limitations when using the Personal Gateway.

We want to deploy the Personal Gateway with SCCM 2012.

But I can't find any documentation on how to do this.

Is this kind of deployment even supported by Microsoft?

What I found out:

• The original installar downloads the "GatewayInstall.exe" in %temp%
  • This GatewayInstall.exe can be installed silently using the /Q switch. But when using a script to install the Gateway the installer hangs in some cases. Not all the time, just once in a while. So this method doens't seem to be stable
  • The uninstall exists of 4 actions:
    • MsiExec.exe /X{2950A5B0-C59C-4738-833B-3D8E0AC21A9C} /qn
    • MsiExec.exe /X{3EA99C79-BCBA-4CF3-A925-42C1C3BEEEB5} /qn
    • MsiExec.exe /X{2E460461-D37F-4885-B480-65E2C8E76E6D} /qn
    • "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Package Cache\{a73a6034-e4ae-4554-884a-7969b3b16559}\PowerBIGateway-usermode-prod.exe" /uninstall /Q

Users can install the personal gateway without Admin credentials, the software will be installed in %LOCALAPPDATA%.
But when a user attempts to start the software they get an error message:

"Registering the Analysis Service Connector failed: Connecting"

I've read that in most cases there is no need to modify the firewall, so I believe this is another issue.

So, main question, is there any supported way to mass deploy PowerBI Gateway - Personal
Second question, how to solve the error message "Registering the Analysis Service Connector failed: Connecting"

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JM1,

So, main question, is there any supported way to mass deploy PowerBI Gateway - Personal

As there is no any official documentation or article which provides the command line to install it currently, I don't think it is supported with SCCM in this scenario. You can sumbit your requirement on Power BI ideas and vote it up.Smiley Happy

Second question, how to solve the error message "Registering the Analysis Service Connector failed: Connecting"

Are you using the latest version of on-premises data gateway now? It seems that this issue is caused when trying to install the old version of Personal Gateway. Here is a similar thread for your reference. And you can download the latest version of on-premises data gateway here.

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

I think I can work the silent uninstall out.

The "Registering the Analysis Service Connector failed: Connecting" issue remains. And yes we are testing with the latest version. Interesting result: It works on an "open" internet connection, not on the corporate internet connection. But I can't find any documentation about firewall exclusion rules. Do you know if such an article even exists?

Hi @JM1,

Sorry for the delay response!

Could you go to check if this video/article helps?Smiley Happy

This setting doesn’t have anything to do with the gateway directly. This is more about the firewall configuration for your environment. If your organization has restricted access to the internet by way of their firewall, they may need to open up some items to let the gateway communicate.

The gateway communicates with the Azure Service Bus and will do this by talking to IP addresses used by Azure Service Bus. These are part of the Azure IP range. You would need to whitelist these IPs to allow communication to be successful.

You can download the Azure IP range list from the Microsoft Download Center. This list is updated weekly. You will need to monitor the list and make appropriate changes.

Regards

Thanks for your information!

I will let you know what the results are.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.