Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jldaley86
Advocate II
Advocate II

Show the selected "drilldown" column from a chart

Hi everyone 🙂

Does anyone have a way in which we can show which column has been drilled down on within a chart?

For example, let's say we have a date hierarchy (year, month, date) and the user uses the Drill Mode (top right arrow) and drills down on a particular year (e.g. 2016) so the months display for that year. What we'd like to show is a label with the year (2016) selected. Similarly, if they user then selected a particular month (e.g. Mar) to view all the days belonging to it, we would want to show a label with the month (Mar) selected.

I know PBI has released that annoying update to append the fields together on the drill up/down, but we would prefer to show it via a label instead. When we've tried to have a play with getting a DAX formula to work

Thanks in advance 🙂

Jarrod

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
satbirminhas
Advocate I
Advocate I

If you are in the Power BI service, you can implement this by following the steps listed below:

1. Select the visualization.
  2. Click Format in the visulizations pane.
  3. Switch off the Concatenate Labels option under x-axis. 

This seems to do the trick and shows the drill down value selected by the user as part of the x axis itself as a hierarchy and works for multiple drill down levels.

Screenshot.jpg

P.S. This might work with Power BI desktop as well but I haven't tried it. 

Best Regards,

Satbir Minhas

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
satbirminhas
Advocate I
Advocate I

If you are in the Power BI service, you can implement this by following the steps listed below:

1. Select the visualization.
  2. Click Format in the visulizations pane.
  3. Switch off the Concatenate Labels option under x-axis. 

This seems to do the trick and shows the drill down value selected by the user as part of the x axis itself as a hierarchy and works for multiple drill down levels.

Screenshot.jpg

P.S. This might work with Power BI desktop as well but I haven't tried it. 

Best Regards,

Satbir Minhas

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

Please refer to this blog post by Chris Webb for the solution.

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/04/25/dynamic-chart-titles-in-power-bi/

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi Bhavesh

Thanks for the link, however that solution seems to work for filters rather than a user clicking (selecting) a column in a column chart to drilldown on.

Perhaps we're wrong, but we were under the impression that if the series is selected in Drill Mode, then the underlying dataset doesn't filter, thereby making it hard to know what value the user clicked on to begin with. Whereas, if Drill Mode is disabled and we select a value for a series (i.e. to highlight the column) we found the dataset does filter.

It's the first method we're trying to resolve, not the second or a filtered method. If you think the above solution would work we'd love to know how as we're stumped as to reference a selected column in a unfiltered dataset.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Jarrod

Hi @jldaley86,

I am not quite sure about your requirement, could you please describe more details with relevant screenshots?

From your original post, you want to display labels for selected column when you dill down date in chart, the inline date hierarchy labels in Power BI Desktop meet your requirement in my opinion. However, from your latest reply, when you turn on dill down mode and click a column in a chart, which data do you want to return?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

Sorry for not being clearer about the problem. You're right, using inline date hierarchy labels would solve the problem, except it takes up far too much real estate so we were looking for an alternative.

Let's say we have a hierarchy for a drilldown chart that is Year, Quarter, Month, Date, 30min Period (e.g. 2016, 2016-Q1 Sep-16, 14-Sep-16, 14-Sep-16 17:30). Now assume we have "clicked to turn on drilldown" in the top right hand corner of the chart and we now can perform a selective drilldown.

The chart will start with showing the relevant years (e.g. 2004, 2005.....2016), so if I now click to 2016 the chart will drilldown to show the quarters for 2016 (e.g. 2016-Q1, 2016-Q2, 2016-Q3, 2016-Q4). We want to show the label of the year drilled down upon via a card (i.e. 2016).

Then, if we drilled down on one of the quarters (e.g. 2016-Q2) to show all of the months for that quarter, we want to show the label of the quarter drilled down on in a card (i.e. 2016-Q2). Essentially, as the user performs a selective drilldown we want to show the label of the column selected.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Example.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.