Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AP_BI
Frequent Visitor

Show first field of one-to-many relationship in a calculated column of the one-table

Hello together,

I have two tables connected via "Serialnumber" in a one to many relationship. Now I want to create a calculated column in the one-table for the first (text) "Reason" by date from the many-table. 

I tested out the RELATEDTABLE function but this results in an error. Can anyone help on this?

For example: There are 5 rows for this "Serialnumber" with possibily 5 different "Reason". I want to display the first "Reason" in the table on the "One"-side of the relationship. First means first date.

Thank you!!
Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@AP_BI 

there are many ways to do it.

so what i have done, i have created a calc column in the second table where you have multiple reasons against same SI No and we have to find out the one which was the first recorded (min date)

we can create a below calc column this will sort the date and give the ranking within each reason

Rank_Order = RANKX(FILTER(Table2,Table2[SI NO]=EARLIER(Table2[SI NO])),Table2[Date],,ASC)

negi007_0-1653052266331.png

once you have the rank order colum, you can simply filter rank 1 and it will show the first reason agianst each SI No.

now from here, you can have multiple ways to show the reason

1. creating a new table using groupby 

Table3 = GROUPBY(FILTER(Table2,Table2[Rank_Order]=1),Table2[SI NO],Table2[Reason])
negi007_1-1653052386822.png

now you can use lookup function in the first table to pull reason from table3

negi007_2-1653052428970.png

below is the final output

negi007_3-1653052509436.png

i hope this can take you in the right direction. i am also attachting pbix file for help. thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@AP_BI 

there are many ways to do it.

so what i have done, i have created a calc column in the second table where you have multiple reasons against same SI No and we have to find out the one which was the first recorded (min date)

we can create a below calc column this will sort the date and give the ranking within each reason

Rank_Order = RANKX(FILTER(Table2,Table2[SI NO]=EARLIER(Table2[SI NO])),Table2[Date],,ASC)

negi007_0-1653052266331.png

once you have the rank order colum, you can simply filter rank 1 and it will show the first reason agianst each SI No.

now from here, you can have multiple ways to show the reason

1. creating a new table using groupby 

Table3 = GROUPBY(FILTER(Table2,Table2[Rank_Order]=1),Table2[SI NO],Table2[Reason])
negi007_1-1653052386822.png

now you can use lookup function in the first table to pull reason from table3

negi007_2-1653052428970.png

below is the final output

negi007_3-1653052509436.png

i hope this can take you in the right direction. i am also attachting pbix file for help. thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.