Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rax99
Helper V
Helper V

Show area on PIE or Donut Chart based on a measure

This seems very simple but cant seem to work it out and also cannot find similar question on these forums.

I have a measure that returns a % value (eg 0.7 or 70%)

I need to the pie chart to show the result of this measure, ie 70% of the pie filled. How can I do this?

Apologies if this is a basic question, I have been adding the measure, and 1- measure and dragging it to values section in the chart properties to distinguish betweeen the two colours of the chart as a workaround and I know there must be a easier way. Its been buggig me all day.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @rax99,

That depends on how the Pie chart works. The values share the whole pie. If there is only one value without any legends, it will take the whole pie rather than its value. Please refer to chart 3 in the snapshot. There could be two workarounds. The first one is using Gauge chart instead (chart 1). The second one is using a measure to share the whole pie (chart 2). 

Measure = 1 - AVERAGE(Table1[ %complete])

Show-area-on-PIE-or-Donut-Chart-based-on-a-measure

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rax99,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rax99,

A measure always needs the context to evaluate. For example, Blue is 70%, Red is 10%. Then you add this context to the legend or details and you will get what you want. Please refer to the snapshot below.

Best Regards,
Dale

How to add measure as legend? And why PowerBi pie chart does not identifies different values and only shows one of different values when a measure is inputed as Values in pie chart?

Sorry its been a while. 

Surely there should be a way for power bi to automatically detaermine the 'fill' of a pie chart based on a % value. For example the data set I have is bringing the % values back with no real context with regards to the whole dataset. take the below table as an example;

Customer |   %complete

AAAAAA             40%

BBBBBB              78%

CCCCCC             24%

DDDDD             55%

EEEEEEE             90%

if I were to take the AVG %complete value and drag it to the 'values'  field, it colours the whole pie in a single colour. Surely there must be a way of telling it to only 'fill' based on the avg value, i.e, 57.4% (from above example)

How can I acheive this?

Hi @rax99,

That depends on how the Pie chart works. The values share the whole pie. If there is only one value without any legends, it will take the whole pie rather than its value. Please refer to chart 3 in the snapshot. There could be two workarounds. The first one is using Gauge chart instead (chart 1). The second one is using a measure to share the whole pie (chart 2). 

Measure = 1 - AVERAGE(Table1[ %complete])

Best Regards,
Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.