Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

natemarshall
Frequent Visitor

Show Categorical Data Trend Condensed

Hello,

I am trying to show the trend of a test result of a manufactured product over time.  I am using the Line Chart, and my problem is that I want to use Categorical Type on the X-axis, not Continuous Type.  It may be days or weeks before the same product is run, and Continuous interpolates in between.  Categorical will show each test result with a timestamp, but for hundreds of data points this can cause quite a long scroll bar.  I want it condensed so I can see months of data and analyze the trend.

The data is being stored as a Quantity (53.5), and Date/Time (2017-12-11 15:54:06.957).  

Is this possible?

Thanks, Nate

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@natemarshall

When using "Continuous " type, it will always populate a full calendar dates on X-axis. So the line may not appear correctly. And for "Categorical" type, it will show all entries on X-axis.

For your requirement, I suggest you manually create a Calendar Hierarchy like "Year->Quarter->Month->Day". You may add some calculated columns for each date parts like: Year, YearQuarter, YearMonth, Date.

Then you just need to put entire hierarchy into Line chart, and you can drill to any level you want. 

Regards,

Hello,

Thank you for the response.  I am not looking to drill down into a time heirarchy.  I would like to show all entries on the X-axis, but responsive to window size of the chart.  I pulled the data into Excel, and was able to achieve my result.

Yield Trend.JPG

When I resize the Excel chart, it will still show me all the data points.  Perhaps not as granular, but I am only interested in the trend.  In Power BI, the chart does not "condense" the results.  It adds a scroll bar and I must scroll to see all results.

Does this help?

Thanks,

- Nate

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.