Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vincentnoot
Resolver I
Resolver I

Sharepoint authentication error "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided"

Hi all,

I have several reports using files from Sharepoint as a data source. I used to have Organizational account setup for authentication, which worked perfectly for a long time.

All of a sudden, this authentication stopped working when I tried to import a new Sharepoint file. I've tried removing the authentication settings as suggested in other posts. This unfortunately destroyed all Sharepoint connections I had setup which means none of them are working now.

As soon as I try to authenticate through Organizational, Basic or Microsoft Account, the prompt gives a "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided" error.

I've tried several things so far but nothing seems to work.

I can access the Sharepoint site without issues with the same credentials, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://Contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/Innovation/Shared%20documents/General/Datasets/" & #"CustomerName" & "/hours.xlsx"), null, true),

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

My issue was different from the one described in the post you link.

Appartently it was an issue with the Edge authentication prompt. I fixed the issue by changing my default browser to chrome and in Power BI go to Settings > Security > User my default webbrowser.

This fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TrueBlueWoman
Regular Visitor

One other option that might work for this is that if your SharePoint list columms is linked to other areas of SharePoint, you can remove those columns. It's possible that those areas are restricted and even though you're not utilizing the underlying information, it may be preventing you from accessing that data. I removed those fields that could be expanded and my error went away.

samper
Frequent Visitor

I am also not able to the use the function Web.Contents with SharePoint because I could not be authenticated even when using Chrome. Any other solution?

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vincentnoot ,

Please see if this similar thread helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Am I missing something here? Neither this post or the one you link to seem to provide a working solution to this issue. Wondering why theye're both marked as resolved?

Hi,

My issue was different from the one described in the post you link.

Appartently it was an issue with the Edge authentication prompt. I fixed the issue by changing my default browser to chrome and in Power BI go to Settings > Security > User my default webbrowser.

This fixed the issue.

The replie's provided were not a valid solution.  I have the same problem and my company will not allow us to change our default browser to Chrome.  We are forced to use Edge and I cannot get past this error.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same. My organization will not allow us to change our default browser from Edge to Chrome or any other browser.  There must be another solution.  Maybe clearing cache?

Thanks. I tried this solution but I am still getting the same error. Is there anything else I can try?

Great! This fixed my authentication issue too. Thanks a lot 😊

I had the same issue and this method solved it. Thanks a lot !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.