Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint Online slow refresh

As the title says.

I have seen this issue posted several times but never found anything that may help.

My reports pull from both a SQL db and several SharePoint lists. The SQL dbs will import 100,000s of records - typically faster than the time it takes for the SharePoint list, which pulls in 25,000 rows. I can see on the Data Refresh the size that has been downloaded for the SharePoint list, and it seems to be pulling in the data slower than 500kb/s - what is this?

On my Excel version of this sheet, I can use the

let
    Source = Table.Combine
    ({
        OData.Feed("mysite/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('mylist')/Items?$filter=
        Date ge '" & DateSplit(1) & "' and Date le '" & DateSplit(2) & "'"),
        Date ge '" & DateSplit(3) & "' and Date le '" & DateSplit(4) & "'"),
        Date ge '" & DateSplit(5) & "' and Date le '" & DateSplit(6) & "'")
    }),

Where the user will pick a date and it will fill a table with the dates for the month. It essentially splits the query into three, due to the 5000 limit threshold, but it is faster than it would otherwise be.

For BI, where the expectation is that the user can pick any date (ranges), I will need to have the full data imported preferably.

There is nothing demanding in my query,

let
    Source = SharePoint.Tables("mysite", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"GUID" = Source{[Id="myGUID"]}[Items],

So what gives with the SQL db being so much faster than SharePoint Online? Is it because SharePoint Online is given less resources due to it not being premium?

29 REPLIES 29

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors