Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new format pane (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new format pane so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog

223 REPLIES 223

Thank you for the video! Apologies, this was my mistake, looks like the team is still working on the fix for this.

Kaycee
Advocate I
Advocate I

Although it is taking some getting used to - I want to call out there is lots of good in this new pane that everyday users will appreciate. Well done team. 

Can I please ask that you consider putting 'Color' next to every field that involves colour.  Take for example the matrix 'Values' menu. None of the these fields use the word "Color" so when you search it doesn't show up.  I find it easiest to use the search menu to bring everything up and set all my colours at once for a cohesive result. This has made the navigation slow and frustrating. 

Kaycee_0-1648458096151.png

@Kaycee I agree. Search needs a keyword to make "COLOR" show. Same goes for if I type the word "SIZE".

dharland
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

What a step backwards. Now it takes much more work to reach specific format attributes for a control. Plus it is very unintuitive and needs a LOT more work.

sperry
Resolver I
Resolver I

I can't see a 'No Fill' option for the Background of 'Title' in any visual type. This will make pretty much all our external facing models difficult to manage. Will have to set a template up which include 'No Fill' for all visuals instead of using the Visualizations pane. What a pain.

Old

sperry_1-1648144561856.png

New

sperry_0-1648144407287.png

The 'No Fill' option for the Background of 'Title' in any visual type is still not in April 2022 release - Can you confirm whether this will be fixed ASAP or it is buried somewhere in this unusable 'step forward

'? I just need to know whether to sink time into creating a 'template' containing all visuals with a 'No Fill' title. This would make the whole 'build visuals' interface redundant for our org. Crazy.

It's already fixed for May's release! Apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you, I'll see if we can get this back ported.

Excellent news! Still hate the new format pane due to all the other points made in this feed but glad I don't have to create a 'Build Visual' work around

phelmsdk
Advocate I
Advocate I

On the "Action" menu on buttons, it is kind of counterintuitive, that you in the Tooltip option needs to turn the switch on, to turn of tooltip ("No tooltip" = "yes").

It would be much more intuitive, if the tooltip option simply said "Tooltip" and the switch was on by default.

Yes totally agree. This is already fixed for the upcoming April release.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Option to disable slider for Between, Before and After slicer is missing:

jgryczka_0-1648014411255.png

It was available in the old format pane:

jgryczka_1-1648014605324.png

Regards,

Jarek

Hi Jarek - are you on the latest build? This toggle has already been re-added.

I see it and happy to see the slider slicer uses much less height now too.

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V
Advocate V

"Background", "Visual Border" and "Shadow" do not need to be obscured by the "Effects" parent menu. It is a totally wasted click.

Can we bring these 3 very important properties out of hiding please?  You've got room. Why not use it?  

2022-03-22_14-20-02.jpg

@RosieL Can you please respond to this seemingly popular idea? Or does this get filed into the category that other have mentioned of, "For those of us who fail to understand the rationale for making it less usable, we are seemingly ignored." ? 

I sincerely appreciate all of the whining you have to put up with in this thread. You must love it. Thanks!

Sorry, this forum doesn't provide an easy way to see what's getting upvoted a bunch. To give some context, this change went through 2 rounds of user testing where it was mentioned changing these settings were often done together so they preferred the merged card. We have upcoming features planned (like a formatting ribbon) which again made sense to merge these. We hear you that this adds a click in the pane today, but we aim to make these frequent user tasks even easier with what we have coming soon. Thanks for your patience. 

Thanks Rosie. We do appreciate it and we suspected that there were other things downstream but in the context of tight deadlines and getting work done, it has bee challenging keeping that on track so sometimes, status quo is just easier.

I think what would ease a lot of concerns is that if there was any wiggle room to have this particular change as optional for some time longer, that would be a great relief to many. I've gotten used to the change but dont have as much invested as some others here so their experience may be more severely impacted.

Absolutely!!! Would love to see the 'Effects' level removed and the sub-menus promoted!!

mo12cummings

Unless I'm just missing it, I no longer see the option to change the fill on buttons with various actions (on hover, on click, etc.). 

We have this feature in multiple reports across multiple workspaces, would hate to lose this feature.

It should be under the "Style" card. We consolidated the style settings so it's easier to set what a particular state looks like at once (e.g. on hover you want fill and a border) vs. old pane there was a lot of hopping around and swapping the states in each (go to fill, change state to hover. go to border, change state to hover). But let us know your feedback.

BrunoMR

Hello,

In the new formatting pane, for the Map visual (based on shapes), we don't have the ability to define colors for 'Min', 'Med' and 'Max' value anymore.

Here is a screenshot with the 'standard' pane :

BrunoMR_1-1647884432549.png

@RosieL : do you think it could be fixed in the forthcoming months?

Thanks !

Bruno

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.