Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
839 REPLIES 839

BalmerBelfiore team... Who's that?

I completely agree with your thoughts.

Agreed. Seems MS is more interested in changing the UI for appearances sake (a.k.a. "new and improved") rather than addressing less flashy, but more desired features requested by their users. They see all this resistance and still press on with unwanted changes.

Rudz
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Another factor for Microsoft to consider, is that when a user responds to this thread, they automatically receive an email with every new comment. This means that every person who has commented here receives multiple emails every day showing not just negative, but increasingly hostile responses to this feature. People used to say "I'll never use this," and then "I won't use Power BI if this becomes the only way," to now "I'm going to stop using Power BI because I assume Microsoft is going to make this the only way." Because we are all subscribed to this thread, this overwhelmingly negative sentiment multiplies in the hearts and minds of the core user base. It is painful to watch this go on for months without Microsoft addressing how they will turn this around, what the long term plans are for this feature, and why Microsoft continues to invest in such a wildly unpopular feature.

My opinion is that this feature is being pushed too aggressively and with very poor testing. After multiple crashes early on, I haven't touched it. Things like managing panes is such a basic usability issue, that I don't think Microsoft is doing any significant testing before we see it. While this is ok for small features that are mostly polished, this change is too big and too rough still. It feels like we are alpha testing, not beta testing. The whole world should not be your alpha testers! We are on a monthly release cycle, so by the time we give you feedback, it takes months before the fixes come back to us. That isn't workable for such a large change. At the pace you are on, it will take years before this change is usable. And you are depleting your pool of testers when people turn it on and have to turn it off after 5 minutes of testing. Many have made up their minds on this change by now and won't touch it anymore. How are you going to get feedback then? You need a smaller, highly active test group of seasoned developers who want this feature and a weekly release schedule. Pull the preview until your alpha testers are happy.

Something needs to happen though. Continuing on as-is hurts the trust we place in the development team. This thread is a festering pool of negativity. If you don't address it somehow, I think you will see the sentiment toward Power BI continue to decline with your core users.

Excellent considerations.

Well said, come on MS, what about some basic features that are still missing on visuals:

- Freeze panes on a table

- Drill through on a multi row card

- A better guage visual with multiple ranges

- The ability to fix the slicer type (as say between) when using 'Show values on selected field'

Just focus on the visuals, that's where you're falling behind the competition.  You're relying on the easy transition from Excel to Power BI with people's existing license agreements, rather than genuinely trying to compete in the market space

Second this.

The MS person who decided down this path has definitely NOT used PBI on a daily basis. Knowing how large corporation works, it is hardly a surprise, just profoundly SAD for the community. 

There are many useful features the community asked for over years, very few got implemented. Instead, MS happily chose to waste 1 year of development time on something everyone hates, and no one asked for.  

I completely agree, development time could be spent on improvements to the current one that would be welcome, and not on a new one that is totally hated by the majority of developers.

So far, this is one of the best to address this horrible issue, which makes every real developer so worried about it. 

@ctappan, thank you for this.

BI-Geniuz
Advocate I
Advocate I

• What changes would you like to see?
    That this one doesn't leave the preview and never become a standard
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
    The orientation of the GUI should not be tempered with
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?
    Please leave it as is. We're adjusted to the look and feel as it is right now
MikkoP
Advocate I
Advocate I

So far I've found this feature very clumsy to use. I'm constantly lost when trying to add new fields to my visuals etc. so eventually I decided to turn the preview feature off again.

In my opinion this is a huge step down from the original way things worked and I really hope it doesn't become the new default.

I also hope.

foresightbi
Advocate I
Advocate I

Sentiments of EXCEL are horrible!!!! Power BI Desktop is not a replacement of Excel and frankly the clunky means of engaging with data in charting and pivots there should not propagate over to Power BI Desktop too!!

PLEASE DO NOT SHIP THIS AS ON BY DEFAULT AND PLEASE DON'T STOP ENHANCING AND OPTIMIZING THE EXISTING INTERFACE AND LAYOUT 😊 (bold CAPS is not to yell, but to respectfully exclaim).  If you have a legitimate base of your customers who wants this style of interaction, so be it ... but I think it's clear and apparent that there is a substantial base of customers who do not like it at all!!!

We completely agree.

adegrno
Advocate II
Advocate II

To be honest, flat out a very bad move - who thought of this way of doing things? With this new feature, it requires a lot of unnescessary clicks - please keep it the way it was. I have turned it off.

wangfeng9988333
Advocate II
Advocate II

As a Power BI consultant, I work with client's reports daily. I have turned off it four times, it wastes so much of my time. As long as the option is there for you to choose if it is there, I'm okay. But if our current feature is gone, instead of this new one, then for me personally, I would probably switch to another visualization tools.

I share your thoughts and I believe that, based on the comments, 99.9% of powerbi developers do too.

Agree 100%.   This is a terrible idea.

Timo1980
Advocate I
Advocate I

not a fan of the feature. I work as a consultant and I use PBI alot with clients to help them moving towards advanced analytics. This means that I build quite a lot of reports and dashboards. The new features makes it really cumbersome to quickly build and change visuals. Too many clicks, and quite often I need to add back the panes. Its a real hassle. I have turned it off as it tripled my time spent with generating reports. As long as the option is there for you to choose if its there, i'm happy. But if that feature is gone, then for me personally I would problably switch to another visualization tool.

Hi

The On-Object Interaction is not working when I click OK in the options dialog box. The page remains grey.

Could you please show a solution for this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.