Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
817 REPLIES 817
dbauchan
Regular Visitor

I had to remove the feature. It may have to do with the fact that after using it for so long with the visuals on the left, that hovering over each visual to modify proertis felt obtuse. Many times, tring to switch the visual or modify settings would dynamically resize the editor and cover up the visual underneath. this prevents seeing how the visual could be affected and discourages expirimentation. It was pretty frustrating.

Hi dbauchan,

Thanks for the feedback. Please stay tuned for our June and July releases. They should give you more options around positioning of the menus so you won't have obstructed views

crir13

Hi, I love the idea.  I seem to have run into a bug and also unexpected behavior, though.

I had formatted a measure meticulously in a graph.  Then I copied the entire workbook tab, and copied that measure's code and created a new measure.  Now I want to use the same graph, and the same formatting, but with the new measure in the new tab.

When I click on-visual editing and the arrow to replace the old measure with the new measure for the new tab, it doesn't use the same formatting.  A user would expect the same formatting (I did) otherwise it's not really replacing and just creating more unnecessary design work.

Further, when I went to update the design manually, it wouldn't allow me to change the color for that measure.  See the below image; the dropdown for Future Riverview should not be the editable color, but instead New Wales, the measure I just updated in the graph.

crir13_0-1683215304057.png

That's due to it being a new measure/field, and not limited to the On-Object Interaction. Try replicating in the previous version, you should get the same result.

No, I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I understand for the first part of my post that it's behaving the same, but I'm saying that for better UX, especially for on-object editing, it appears to be buggy.  When I replace the measure using the arrow, I expect the new measure to retain the same design.  That would be an expected UX. 

Further, for the second part of my post, the actual bug, where it's not allowing me to edit the color for the measure I selected in "Apply settings to" it works fine when I revert back:

crir13_0-1683216802788.png

So, clearly it is a bug for the second part.  Try what I said and you'll see, please.

Hi crir13,

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed that some formatting options will be retained when swapping and some others get wiped out. I'll share this with the team that handles formatting.

I'll share the color bug that you found as well

bhuwan
Frequent Visitor

There is no way, I can change the value to Min, Max or %. I had to switch back.

Right-clicking will bring up the aggregation options, similiar to the field dropdown from previous versions. The  ">" next to the field is a bit misleading as the aggregations should be found within that area versus an additional (hidden) step.

tableauspoiled
Frequent Visitor

I do not like that popping open the menu requires an extra step and pops open a menu that covers up other visuals, sometimes even the one I'm actually working on (see pic).  You've actually decreased my visibility in the attempt to make it bigger. 

tableauspoiled_0-1683209413109.png

In order to compare fields used across visuals I have to click on each chart, then click again on the build visuals box (which may or may not show up on the side I was expecting, and then make comparisons.  Because the box shows up in random places, depending on the location of the visual itself on the canvas, this is no longer an automatic glance back and forth, plus it may have just covered up the chart I was comparing it to.  To compare fields I have to click 4 times instead of two.  That adds up when I'm checking multiple fields on multiple visuals.  And adding fields is no longer adjacent to the data pane.  I eventually realized that there is a way to open it on the build visuals tab, but that again requires an extra step.

I've also noticed that if I accidentally click on the chart behind the build pane that it closes the build pane.  This doesn't matter much most of the time, but if I'm adjusting the size of columns it's easy to miss.  Not enough on its own to make me remove the feature, but another headache on something I'm already frustrated with.

I'd be satisfied if I just had the option to pin it open in the old spot, similar to the option to pin other panes from the right side, but I've searched online to no avail.  It is further frustrating that when I do pin the other panes open, the sidebar you use to do so is still pinned in place and now takes up an extra half inch, making my screen size actually smaller than it was before.  When I'm working on the laptop, as opposed to my larger monitors, even this sliver matters a great deal. 

I was excited about the release, hoping it would make accessing the formatting easier and faster, but instead it's now created severe aggravation on issues that weren't broken to start with.  Ironically, I can pin the format menu open now, but not the build visual option with the fields.

Hi tableauspoiled,

Please stay tuned for the June and July releases. There will be options for the positioning of menus that should help out with the issues you mentioned

mhenderson
Advocate I
Advocate I

I cannot find the drill through option. I had to switch back. 

You have to set that up within the page info section, see the following link:

Solved: Preview - On-object interaction: Where's the Drill... - Microsoft Power BI Community

VanessaWilson
Regular Visitor

Please allow for widening of the Build a visual box so we can read longer field names without hovering over them.

Also, please make it easier to change the order of fields in a visual. It appears the drag and drop function is is only available once we turn off the 'Suggest a type' toggle... This is not at all intuitive.

Thanks. 

Hi VanessaWilson,

Thanks for the feedback. The ability to resize the menus that is also accessible is something we are looking into now. TBD on the release though

The "Suggest a type" feature looks at the data that you have added and doesn't take into consideration the order, so reorder fields wouldn't affect the visual. This feature is optional if it isn't helpful for you. If you open the Options dialog and look under Global Report settings, you can uncheck "Suggest a type by default". Then you will be able to select your visual type and reorder like you would previously

Janos
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have turned off the preview of this feature. What I found most frustrating is the difficulty of managing the data fields / measures on visuals like matrix or table view. It is not friendly, difficult to make changes. Instead of a single smooth drag-and-drop, not I need to click, scroll, click and then drag-and-drop. 

Sure I could just check the checkbox in the data pane, but it seems to put the field on the wrong axis (or column vs row) most of the time, so I still have to go through the above process to fix it. Even if it works, the above process is still required to change the ordering of items. 

Hi Janos,

Thank you. I completely understand the feedback you are sharing. We are looking into making the menus more dynamic so they better utilize the available space to reduce scrolling. This should allow you to just use drag and drop. It is TBD for when this will be available

enb080

I think this was overlooked. There is no need for hidden tables to be visible here.
enb080_0-1682970873547.png

Hi enb080,

Thanks for the feedback. At the moment the View hidden option is synced from the Data pane. Would you need these options to not be synced in this case? Could you tell me a little bit more about why you would need this?

EwanT_0-1685678488415.png

ZackWarrenVI
Regular Visitor

I might have missed it, but while working with some maps, I found myself wondering which map type I had selected.  Normally, I'd be able to get a visual indicator of that (without clicks) by looking under the Visualizations pane, on the "Add data to your visual" tab.  I couldn't easily find a visual clue like that.  Maybe you could do that in the ribbon similar to how Excel has a visual indicator when the "Chart Design" main tab is enabled.

Overall, I like the direction this is going, but it needs a lot of public preview time.  I'll try to submit more concrete feedback as I have time.

I agree. The selection is way too subtle even in the non-preview version. I regularly stare at the screen 5-15 seconds trying to figure out which one is selected.

Here's an example of how subtle the selection is:

Rudz_0-1683221043086.png

Suggestion - Make the square bigger and a color distinct from the icons. I like Power BI Yellow here. It jumps out:

Rudz_1-1683221074684.png

If you have to use Power BI Teal, how about this? 

Rudz_2-1683221298675.png

Even just a larger black square would help immensely!

peterg0417
Helper II
Helper II

I tried it for about an hour. It just doesn't feel intuitive or organized. 

As the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

This imo is a completely unnecessary change and just causes more friction when working with reports and visuals.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.