Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
817 REPLIES 817
NHAN_PHAN

I have two idea. 

- Can you remove the boder in show panes. It is better for visual. 

NHAN_PHAN_0-1681698230108.png

- Change the way to show option below .Currently i need to right click to show it. 

NHAN_PHAN_1-1681698360707.png

I want to show popup above by click on arrow. Because if i click on text it will show datasource, then i click on this arrow datasource show again. I thinks it is duplicate action to view datasource.

NHAN_PHAN_3-1681698472307.png

Zx2000
Advocate I
Advocate I

I love the horizontal layout of data / format etc on the right side but I dont like the general idea of formatting Excel in PowerBI. I wish it would be optional. It is counterintuitive and oldschool. The new feature is bugged - I see new icons through the code window. Overall I wish we have dark mode instead of such features as in every single modern app. Current view hurt my ill eyes and it looks really like from other era.  

tylerphotos1

Hi! In general this feature seems promising. Main problem I have is I'm unable to switch visualizations once I've picked one. Clicking on the icons in the Insert pane just inserts a new viz instead of switching. I'm used to the behavior where I can change a visualization on demand by clicking on a different viz icon in the visualizations pane.  

Thank you for the feedback. After you insert a new visual from the ribbon, you should see this new menu. You can change the visual type from here. There is a known bug where this menu is not open automatically. We hope to have the fix soon

build a visual.png

Awesome. Thank you so much for the response. This is the kind of user engagement that makes people loyal!

Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Thank you for reaching out to gather feedback about the new On-Object Interaction feature. Here are some thoughts:

• I really like the new feature as it allows for more interactivity within the report without having to drill down to another page.
  • One change I would like to see is the ability to have more customization options for the actions that can be taken on an object. Currently, the available options are limited to simple actions like changing filters or navigating to another report page.
  • I haven't turned off the preview switch, as I find the feature to be useful.
  • An additional capability that could be useful is the ability to have different interactions for different user roles or permissions. For example, certain interactions may only be available to admin users.

Thank you for considering our feedback, and I look forward to seeing how this feature continues to evolve.

Thomas_G_medi

Hi Power BI team,

I tried the new on-object interaction feature for a view weeks. 

From my perspective I have to say that the former structure was better for working effectively. So I had to deactivate the preview feature.
One excample that created a lot of issues for me was the creation and optimization inside a report by using bookmarks and selections. In the new view it is not possible to the both settings at the same time. That makes it much more difficult to handle these features.

Also the handling on the visual itself is more confusing now. 

Maybe there should be some more adjustments to optimize the user expierience.

Regards, Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback. There are some improvements coming that will give you options to make the structure closer to what you are used to. Please stay tuned.

You can work with the Bookmark and Selection panes at the same time. While you have the Bookmarks pane open, right click the icon for the Selection pane in the sidebar, then select the option "Open in new pane." I've attached screenshots below.

Could you give me more details around the handling on the visual itself is more confusing? This will help me better understand the issue you are having, so the team can look into possible solutions in the future. Thanks

dual panes.png

wasim
Frequent Visitor

I personally prefer the using the previous way. However, to cater to both preferences maybe add it is an option in View>>Show Panes. 

Thanks. 

mendesl

Nice Feature, but requires some improvements.
- field order on a table can't be changed, by draging fields up or down;
- Data Panel, can't be collapsed, must be closed, then, through the menu, be activated again! It should be kept working as before, the same way the filters still do.
I've turned it off, for now.

emmur
Frequent Visitor

Column & measure names are difficult to read due to the fixed width of the pane and the size of the X  |  > icons.

I'm really missing the ability to resize the width of the pane.  See image.
I have switched off the preview as I find it too difficult to have an overview of what I am working with.

emmur_0-1681390359470.png

edavey

Turned off the preview after trying to use it.  Took too long to edit / too many mouse clicks.

TBradford
Regular Visitor

Incredibly disorienting. Why not post a video showing the new interface in action?

As a new user, I bought a course (Xelplus.com) to learn how to build reports in Power BI. It seems that went completely out of date before I finished it! 

Why did I turn the preview off? On the first attempt to use the new interface the whole application effectively locked-up. Every click generated a "ding" but no visual clues about what was wrong. Even the file menu was inaccessible. I had to kill the Power BI processes with task manager, restart, and turn-off the preview feature before it locked-up again. 

kahnailee
Advocate I
Advocate I

On-Object is useless without the ability to change field aggregations; there's no option to change it after you "Add Data" in the field well. Instead, you either need to live with it, or change the summarization type of the column/field itself, which is not ideal and not sustainable with multiple visuals needing independent aggregations over the same field.

I had a similar issue, and it turns out the options are still there, just not so easy to find the right place where you need to right-click with the mouse to be able to change summarizations. You can see the details on this post below (message #96):

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Share-your-thoughts-on-the-new-On-Object-Interaction-featur...

I can now change summarization if I right click right on the data item label name. If you click on any of the other visual elements such as the "x" or the arrow pointing to the right, it does not work.  They said they will change into something more intuitive.

THANK YOU!! That worked on my end. 

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

PBI Desktop April release just came out: despite almost universal feedback from the community, the data and visual panes are still nested, with no option to show both at the same time. It is a huge drag on productivity, especially for people using PBI on daily basis and manage many reports.

I am disappointed. Does our voice matter? 

Capture.JPG

We have a solution on its way! To effectively implement and test a larger change like this PBI engineering tends to work 2 months ahead of releases. Therefore, this change is currently expected for June release, we appreciate your patience.

Thank you Rosie! Great to know MS listens 😄 , I look foward to the update

BaBallero
Frequent Visitor

I turned off the preview. For my daily work I simply need more clicks to make changes on the visual what I don´t like.

F_Fitti
Advocate II
Advocate II

I think I ran into a possible visual bug, or at least some new behavior that I did not encounter prior to the on-object interaction preview. 

I have a very large multi-row card with many indicators. I was asked to change the order of some elements in the card. One of the items had to be moved up 2 positions up i.e. item number 5 would have to be placed in between 3 and 4, effectively becoming the new number 4 on the list.  My data items all have large labels that are larger than the standard width of the on-object "build a visual" data window, so when I mouse over any of them, a pop-up displaying the full item label shows up, which is really nice to allow me to distinguish between the elements in the visual. 

However, that same pop-up is not "transparent", and it blocks the visual behind it. This effectively obscures the lines that separate elements, which is the very precise space where we need to mouse in in order to either drop new elements into the field well or when rearranging their order. This would not be a problem if I were moving my item several positions up or down because the pop up is not so bing, but if all one is trying to do is move them one or two positions up, there is no way of releasing the mouse button on the very precise spot which allows them to be arranged in order. I ended up having to first move the item several positions down, so that the pop-up would not obscure the target area where I had to drag the item to have it drop in the right position I needed it to be. 

I'm adding a few screenshots pieced together in windows paint just to illustrate. Had to obscure my data item labels for privacy reasons, but I think it still helps understand what the issue is. If the full label pop-up would be at partially transparent or not block the interaction of the mouse with the field well behind it, I think this would work as a solution. 

F_Fitti_0-1681245351745.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.