Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
831 REPLIES 831

Thank you for this feedback. We are definitely looking at #1, to be able to resize the build menu. #2 should be coming with the June release, stay tuned!

gcn
Frequent Visitor

I try to adjust some visuals that I switch with bookmark navigation: moving from switch buttons to format pane is somehow strange, I need to click outside visuals (deselect visuals) to be able to display formatting details for a specific visual, after I format another visual - the selection pane is not helping, even if I click on the second visual title in the selection pane.

The visuals are grouped, I know I need to click twice... I'm inclined to believe it's related to the new features...

gcn
Frequent Visitor

Interesting, but... I need to disable it 😞

Not an MVP yet, a lot of features are not mature enough, and overall productivity is worse.

Especially when reordering columns in a table, it breaks (strange behavior like action on the wrong column or a different column jumping with the chosen one), jumps to the beginning and forces me to do a lot of scroll.

All panes are flying like a hell, I need to adjust width frequently because I remove them by mistake, and the contextual pane for the visual is not wide enough, too short (at the bottom of the page).

I would keep the panes on the right, sticky (influenced by the options menu), or make them harder to disappear by mistake. 😄 

Do not close the project, but it is not ready yet for testing.

Thank you for the feedback. We are looking into making the contextual panes easier to work with and reduce scrolling, but I don't have a timeline to share on these improvements

For moving the Build pane to the right with the other panes, please stay tuned. This should be coming in the June update

FritzVPL
Advocate II
Advocate II

This update introduced a bug I keep sporadically running into which is giving me great pain.  When despite clearly having an object selected (which I can confirm when toggling over to the "Build Visual" panel and see the metric on the card selected) the formatting menu acts like there is no object selected and instead gives me the page formatting options.

Another clear indicator this is a bug is look how it says "format visual" and gives me the page formatting options. When no visual is selected it says "format page" (see 2nd snippet).

I am unable to reproduce consistently but it is occuring multiple times a day.

FritzVPL_0-1680802978687.png

FritzVPL_1-1680804077057.png

Yup, I can confirm. I noticed that too. I need to switch to other report card, and then back to be able to format visual again. 

PS. I have on-object interaction switched off.

RethinkBI
Frequent Visitor

Will this On-Object editing ability be availlable to end users in Service or in Teams? 

For example, can a user add/edit a title in the same way that this feature works in desktop?

This feature is only supported in the Desktop, so we can gather your feedback during our public preview.

Please let us know if this is something you would expect in the Service or in Teams. Also if you have any additional feedback on the feature, please feel free to share

rdicke
Regular Visitor

I would also like to be able to right click in a cell, header, total field,... and have the format panel open to that location, similar to excel.

rdicke
Regular Visitor

I keep my repley simple

I would like to have both option: one, have the right click on the object, or have it in the right panel, like what you can do with the formating.

Rudz
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

@RosieL

I was trying the new On-object feature and managed to get into a death spiral that forced me to crash out of Power BI. This is repeatable in my file, which is demo data for testing Incremental Refresh and does not contain confidential data. The Power BI Desktop file is connected live to a Power BI dataset with incremental refresh.

Rudz_12-1680727002726.png

I have a simple table visual that has a list of the files loaded by incremental refresh.

Rudz_9-1680726054588.png

Using On-object, I was trying to add a row count to the table. Without on object, I would just re-add the Filename column, and then change the setting to do a Count on the column.

Rudz_11-1680726312823.png

I clicked +Add data, picked the same Filename column and nothing happened.

Rudz_6-1680725561534.png

(In further testing, it seems like I can always add another Filename column OK the first time. But if I delete it and immediately re-add it, that's when nothing happens.)

Because it didn't work, I tried dragging the field from the Data pane to the +Add data button.

Rudz_7-1680725720757.png

It had an odd result of adding a blank field to the list with no change to the visual:

Rudz_8-1680725775193.png

If I hover over the blank field, it repeatedly pops up this error until I kill Power BI from Task Manager:

Rudz_3-1680725251311.pngRudz_4-1680725261909.png

Error details are below. Let me know if you need anything else. I can reproduce this at will in this file.

Mike

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
An error occurred while rendering the report.

Stack Trace:
Javascript: TypeError
at PbiDragDropPickerComponent_ng_template_3_ng_container_2_ng_template_8_Template (https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.field-picker-modern.min.js:1473:163)
at executeTemplate (https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.js:104007:63)
at refreshView (https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.js:103932:121)
at https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.js:103950:80
at refreshView (https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.js:103952:26)
at https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.js:103950:80
at refreshView (https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.js:103952:26)
at refreshComponent (https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.js:104247:45)
at https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.js:103977:73
at refreshView (https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.js:103978:26)

Stack Trace Message:
An error occurred while rendering the report.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.PowerBIFormUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebView2.WebView2Interop.InvokeCs(InteropCall call)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass5_1.<RunApplication>b__4()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.RunApplication(String[] args)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

JS Error Message:
Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'title')

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.115.663.0","ModuleName":"https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/desktop.field-picker-modern.min.js","Component":"","Error":"TypeError","MethodDef":"PbiDragDropPickerComponent_ng_template_3_ng_container_2_ng_template_8_Template","ErrorOffset":"1473:163"}

AS Live Connection:
True

Performance Trace Logs:
C:\Users\rudzimj\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_b2bExternalDatasetSharing
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PBI_enableWebView2
PQ_WebView2Connector
PBI_sparklines
PBI_scorecardVisual
PBI_NlToDax
PBI_fieldParametersSuperSwitch
PBI_horizontalFusion
PBI_optimizeTabRibbon
PBI_relationshipEditPane
PBI_angularRls
PBI_onObject
PBI_setLabelOnExportPdf

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

Recent Actions:
AddVisualContainer, DeleteVisualContainer, AddFieldToVisual, RemoveFieldFromAllRoles

PowerBIUserFeedbackServices_IsReported:
True

Formulas:

section Section1;

Active Section Contract:
{"id":50975359,"name":"ReportSection","displayName":"Load check","filters":"[]","ordinal":0,"visualContainers":[{"id":2543226486,"x":0,"y":0,"z":0,"width":1279.5979899497486,"height":720,"config":{"name":"7141b36e1be5294cb678","layouts":[{"id":0,"position":{"x":0,"y":0,"z":0,"width":1279.5979899497486,"height":720,"tabOrder":0}}],"singleVisual":{"visualType":"tableEx","projections":{"Values":[{"queryRef":"Currency (SP).Filename"}]},"prototypeQuery":{"Version":2,"From":[{"Name":"c","Entity":"Currency (SP)","Type":0}],"Select":[{"Column":{"Expression":{"SourceRef":{"Source":"c"}},"Property":"Filename"},"Name":"Currency (SP).Filename"}],"OrderBy":[{"Direction":1,"Expression":{"Column":{"Expression":{"SourceRef":{"Source":"c"}},"Property":"Filename"}}}]},"autoSelectVisualType":true,"drillFilterOtherVisuals":true,"vcObjects":{"title":[{"properties":{"show":{"expr":{"Literal":{"Value":"true"}}},"text":{"expr":{"Literal":{"Value":"'Files loaded'"}}},"fontSize":{"expr":{"Literal":{"Value":"17D"}}}}}]}}},"filters":"[]"}],"objectId":"b6bf3e22-80a9-440f-a55d-fdef534d51ba","config":{},"displayOption":1,"width":1280,"height":720}

Thank you for reporting and providing great detail. We're taking a look at this ASAP.

Dom-Perthyn
Advocate I
Advocate I

😎 Suggestions - Some of which are already mentioned in other peoples replies but want to crystallise them into a list:

1.  Have the option to pin pane icons to side bar for all reports opened regardless of report menu selections.

2. Have the ability to open these in new pane by double clicking the pane icons (and have another double-click to close the pane)  rather than having to use the pop up menu to open in a new pane which is a pain.

3. Make the selection of on object visuals clearer with dotted line in a user chosen highlight colour rather than just blue line which may be used in the report already.  This could be set per report to contrast for that report's look and feel.

4. Allow for multiple selection of visuals to also benefit from on object selection for shared properties.

5. When choosing the on object "more options" button have the full format pane show as an additional floating pane with all options rather then replace the first pinned pane shown.

6. Also have an on-object option for the visual to be added to be hidden/visible in some of the existing bookmarks - will save a of time to trying to update bookmarks with multiple objects especially if a visual has been pasted into the page.

7. Similar to last point, have an on-object option to place the visual into a selection Group and in the right selection order.

8. I use a lot of neutral pale colours in reports. Therefore it would be easier to have the on-object development icons and pop up menus be more stand-out using the chosen highlight colour mention in point 3 above.

There is another problem with the open panes not sticking:

If I want to use another pane from the view menu e.g. to display the Sync Slicers, it closes all active panes  only displays the new single pane at the side.  This means I have to reopen previous ones I want to display side by side again.

JohnF1966
Advocate V
Advocate V

I don't like the visualizations pane being separate from the side panel. Please put it back to where it was, next to the Data and Filters panes.

This On-Object feature is really cumbersome, unintuitive and not user friendly at all.

As I'm using this more I find that the number of clicks I need to make to get things done is far greater than before and I need to move my mouse across the screen in greater distances too. It's a big time waste.

Here are some suggestions I have:

1. Keep the data and format panes on the right hand side by default.
2. Use the chevron << and >> to expand and colapse the data and format panes just like the filters pane is because the dropdown arrow with "collapse" and "close" is cumbersome to use.
3. Allow us to remove items from the legend like Excel where you click on the legend item and press delete on our keyboard, but still keep the item in the visual.

Keep all the "Panes" as it is, the new approach is requiring more clicks, cumbursome and quite confusing too.

Do provide pin option for all the panes if this is going to stay.

Implement Data and Visualization pane just like bookmark and selection pane if required.

I agree we need the Visualization pane back on the side or have both options.  Those who do not want to used it can unpinned. 

This is an extremely limiting and unintuitive feature. I hate it. You also cannot easily do bookmarks where you only want to impact selected visuals.

This is poorly thought out. Please reconsider this change.

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Keep the Formatting pane as is. There are things you can improve on the formatting pane, but do not remove features from the pane. Let the OOI work as as quick way to access the most used formatting settings, but all the settings should be avaialble on the Formatting pane. Also, keep Data fields on the formatting pane.

At the same time, keep the new vertical toolbar (with buttons to hide/show different panes), It's great, just fix a few issues and add more buttons to the toolbar (see my previous comment).

List of all visuals also can be transformed into a narrow (one button) vertical toolbar.

avatorl_0-1680507818101.png

chouyueh
Frequent Visitor

I have seen a lot great design updated in the past years and i always find myself quickly adapt to the new changes but this time i am really struggling. Not only it is not user friendly, from user experience point of view it is not intuitive, having to click so many times just to change the data or format and when you click on certain object to change when it shows blue or grey outline i dont really understand what are those, and when i couldn't copy and paste a visual easily i just switch it off and never look back. I really hope you won't release this feature ultimately.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.