Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
818 REPLIES 818

There is another problem with the open panes not sticking:

If I want to use another pane from the view menu e.g. to display the Sync Slicers, it closes all active panes  only displays the new single pane at the side.  This means I have to reopen previous ones I want to display side by side again.

JohnF1966
Advocate V
Advocate V

I don't like the visualizations pane being separate from the side panel. Please put it back to where it was, next to the Data and Filters panes.

This On-Object feature is really cumbersome, unintuitive and not user friendly at all.

As I'm using this more I find that the number of clicks I need to make to get things done is far greater than before and I need to move my mouse across the screen in greater distances too. It's a big time waste.

Here are some suggestions I have:

1. Keep the data and format panes on the right hand side by default.
2. Use the chevron << and >> to expand and colapse the data and format panes just like the filters pane is because the dropdown arrow with "collapse" and "close" is cumbersome to use.
3. Allow us to remove items from the legend like Excel where you click on the legend item and press delete on our keyboard, but still keep the item in the visual.

Keep all the "Panes" as it is, the new approach is requiring more clicks, cumbursome and quite confusing too.

Do provide pin option for all the panes if this is going to stay.

Implement Data and Visualization pane just like bookmark and selection pane if required.

I agree we need the Visualization pane back on the side or have both options.  Those who do not want to used it can unpinned. 

This is an extremely limiting and unintuitive feature. I hate it. You also cannot easily do bookmarks where you only want to impact selected visuals.

This is poorly thought out. Please reconsider this change.

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Keep the Formatting pane as is. There are things you can improve on the formatting pane, but do not remove features from the pane. Let the OOI work as as quick way to access the most used formatting settings, but all the settings should be avaialble on the Formatting pane. Also, keep Data fields on the formatting pane.

At the same time, keep the new vertical toolbar (with buttons to hide/show different panes), It's great, just fix a few issues and add more buttons to the toolbar (see my previous comment).

List of all visuals also can be transformed into a narrow (one button) vertical toolbar.

avatorl_0-1680507818101.png

chouyueh
Frequent Visitor

I have seen a lot great design updated in the past years and i always find myself quickly adapt to the new changes but this time i am really struggling. Not only it is not user friendly, from user experience point of view it is not intuitive, having to click so many times just to change the data or format and when you click on certain object to change when it shows blue or grey outline i dont really understand what are those, and when i couldn't copy and paste a visual easily i just switch it off and never look back. I really hope you won't release this feature ultimately.

Hello, understood on the first points around additional clicks, as echoed in the rest of this forum, we're looking at ways to address that. Could you elaborate on why copy/paste is more difficult? This should not have been impacted by on-object so we'd like to understand if there's a bug here.

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I really like the idea of the new vertical toolbar on the right (with buttons to show/hide panes).
Just make sure it always visible (now buttons disappear from the toolbar and then the entire toolbar dissapers) and add more buttons to the toolbar. Something like this:

avatorl_0-1680335124994.png

The list of buttons to show/hide panes will be different for data view and model view.

Also, it will be great if we can just hold Ctrl and left lick on the icon instead of right click - open in new pane

avatorl_3-1680335179051.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I like the feature of On-object interaction.

The only thing I would like to be kept from the classic interface is the possibility to open several panes at the right for those lucky users who have large screens. I tried holding control and clicking different panes icons but they just replace each other. It's often more convenient to work and see several panes simultaneously, like Build a Visual + Data, or Bookmarks + Selection. Please retain this feature in On-object mode.

Thank you!

jnogle
Employee
Employee

The top issue I'm having with this design is when I want to add or change a data field that feeds a visual (like adding a new column to a table visual). Previously, the formatting and data have lived under tabs in the same pane. Now I keep racking my brain to try to find where I can see the data fields.

Why can I open the visual formatting options in a pane but not view the visual's data fields in a pane? Yet another drastic redesign that has an inconsistent and non-intuitive interaction model.

JessieF
Advocate I
Advocate I

Maybe it's just me stumbling over the new concept, but I feel like it was harder to change the Row and Column subtotals. I wanted a Row subtotal but not Column. I changed it the way I typically would and the Column subtotal remained. After a few tries I finally found the right settings.  

I feel like changing the Visualization Panel to the menu bar was to both save screen real-estate while keeping with the Office theme of late with a vertical icon-based menu panel.

When I was "done" with my Format panel, I chose to Collapse it and then saw the Data and Format is on the far right in this Vertical menu layout. 
Can you leave Visualizations as it's own Panel and then just Collapse it like Format and now Data panel?

JessieF_0-1680275045324.png

Just my two cents.

Jessica.

DavidPitts
Advocate II
Advocate II

While there are a lot of Cool Features in the new on Object Navication, It is an absolute dissaster for creating Complex navigation with booksmarks where  you need to see the Selection and Bookmark Panel visible on Screen at the Same time in order to Create and Audit the Structure of your Bookmark Navigation quickly and Efficiently

The One that I can live without and coud be moved to a Side menu is the Filters Panel

AndyPiper
Regular Visitor

I like the general direction of the functionality. I have grown accustomed to the pane layout and enjoy it, but would find value in on object editing once reports are built.

Why should the UI be an either or? Most functions in other object apps utilize an either/or approach. 

ChariotOfFire

When I add a date to a visual, it defaults to "Date Hierarchy" and I do not see an option to show just the date like in the old version.

For example if column is "Year-Month" I don't see the option to select the "Year-Month" value lke in the old one.

In the old version I can select "Year-Month" which is a sigle date like: 2023-03

ChariotOfFire_1-1680192750853.png

How do I do that on the new version?

Thanks.

Should still be available on right click:

RosieL_0-1680201309551.png

JoeX
Frequent Visitor

It would be good if there was an option to select the default setting for dates, which is currently at Date Hierarchy, and can be time consuming to change if I want to display just the dates, especially in tables. 

You can modify this setting for all your reports or the current file, to remove auto create of a date hierarchy if you prefer. Details are here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-auto-date-time#configure-auto-dat... 

NickKennedy
Frequent Visitor

It is nice, but needs some work to make some advanced reporting techniques work. My biggest need and I hit it within minutes of using the new feature is:

I need access to the multiple panels at once. Specifically the bookmarks and the selection panels. When you have bookmarks using (selected visuals) which interact with hidden slicers, there is not currently a way to select the visuals you want easily to update the bookmark in the new formatting. Since I have to toggle between the panels it makes it more difficult to update bookmarks. It would be nice to be able to pin them open instead of the side ribbon (image below) which only give me access to one panel at a time. I had to turn off the feature for speedier development.

NickKennedy_0-1680187478151.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.