Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
818 REPLIES 818

@NickKennedy @DavidPitts right click on any of the icons you've shown in the image above and select the 'Open in new pane' option, that'll show panels side by side. 

Well isn't that just a handy little hidden feature. Thank you @cc_pbi ! That helps out a lot.

That is Great - A little Hidden - but it addresses my Major concern - It would be good though if these setting persist between Session, (even in the prior Version they didn't) so that I could set up my preference for working rather than reestablish it every time I open the app

I Agree I have same comment

cc_pbi
Frequent Visitor

@RosieL This has the potential to be great, it feels more natural and intuitive. 

The only improvement I would suggest would be to have an option to make the features (Format, Bookmark, Selection etc) on the pane switcher permanently pinned. I found it annoying having to add these to the pane switcher every time I opened a file whereas having these always pinned makes it even more userfriendly. 

This is a great point and suggestion. Every time I open a new report I find myself pausing, trying to remember how to access the visual formatting and selection panes. As a result, this change has slowed my productivity as I stumble around trying to find these settings.

But if they could be pinned - and the pinning persisted across report opens - this would be much easier on my cognitive load.

NirH_at_BITeam
Frequent Visitor

The worst feature ever.
Stop trying being so creative... focus on the ribbon at the top like in all O365 products and PBI will gain much more credits.

Wellington1981
Frequent Visitor

"Drill through" disappeared from all my charts. It stopped working. What happened?

Butterfly25
Frequent Visitor

I've found two really annoying bugs so far with the "On object interaction" enabled:

1. In my report I sometimes add a blank row to my table, to make it look better. I've done this by creating a blank measure. In my visual I could rename that measure to a space, so there is no visible measure name in the report. This is however no longer possible.
  2. In the title and subtitle of a visual you can now use conditional formatting, so use a value to give you the title of the visual. If you work in a file which contains the model, you can select measures. If you however connect to a dataset, selecting measures is not possible. It would be great if that could also be enabled.
Heather_R
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have found a bug in the new on-object interaction feature. 

Bug: if you make a change to the reports current theme (and by this I mean the customizing option for the current theme) - the format panel seems to get stuck on the page options.  Even completely closing the format pane (by clicking the show/hide option in the ribbon) - does not fix this.   Reopening from a visual does not fix this.   The only solution appears to be - restart the report, without the customized theme.

NOTES: It took some time to find the format pane option - but once I did I thought I could get used to the way the feature works (although I echo the sentiment of those who don't like the way we add data to the new layout).  Unfortunately, I found the bug mentioned above within a day - had to revert.

Jonwig
Frequent Visitor

I think the functionality is a nice added option to what we have already when you need to make a quick change to a chart that is already set  up. 

I however did not like that you have now hidden the format bar and  data bar by default. I miss the quick overview of what is in a chart.

So for me ideally you have both in, or at least in the option menu a way to turn back on the old visualization and format bar. 

Based on the above I had to turn off this feature and was reducing my working efficiency.

DGuillory
Frequent Visitor

Love where this is going, much more intuitive design.  Please give us the option to turn off  the "Suggest a type" option as default.  It's trying to help but it's more annoying than Word in that regard.

You can turn it off by default from here:

RosieL_1-1680037638256.png

what version are you running? I am 2.115.842.0 and I do not have that option.....

gtmoten_0-1680042257267.png

"Drill through" disappeared from all my charts. It stopped working. What happened?

Version: 2.115.842.0 64-bit (March 2023)

You may need to enable the Preview option first.

DGuillory_0-1680042608160.png

F_Fitti
Advocate II
Advocate II

I have just turned off the preview feature. I seem to have either found a bug/loss of functionality, or you guys changed how I access it in a way that I can't figure it out.

Example: I have a simple multi-row card visual. I have a variable in my report which is some type of record ID. When I add it to the multi-row card, by default it goes into the visual as "don't summarize". In my case, I want it to be a simple "count", so all I had to to in the old interface is click that variable after I place it in the field well and the many differnt summarization options are available. See sample screenshot for reference.

After turning on this preview, I could not find a way to change the non-summarized variable into a count, no matter what I did. It goes into the multi-row card in the default "don't summarize" behavior, and clicking it within the field well of the on-object builder only brings up the data panel/queries so that I can replace with some other variable from my datasets, but it no longer brings the same menu of that screenshot where I can change the summarization option from "don't summarize" to "count".  How do I do that?

Up until now, I was kind of happy with the preview. As a general principle, I like when software has default behaviors for most frequent taken actions/choices, but I also don't like it when those default actions/choices come at the expense of easy access to full functionality - this feels a bit like how Apple does things i.e. "do it the Apple way or no way".  I think my example is a good one. If the idea is to streamline content building and formatting on each object, I would expect an easy "right click access to get to full menu" option that would allow me to do everything that I could always do in the past interface. I don't understand why the new on-object menu would be a reason to prevent me from being able to choose summarization options with a simple click effort. 

F_Fitti_0-1680022997703.png

It's still there on right click 🙂 just no longer have an icon representing the entry point:

RosieL_2-1680037785269.png

We've been hearing this feedback a lot, that without the icon it's hard to know aggregations is still there. We are updating the flyout menu to also have an aggregations dropdown coming in the May release so it'll be more discoverable. 

Not to nitpick, but how is that not called out anywhere within the release notes or feature summary?! 

THANK YOU! Yes, it seems the big "X" to remove data from the field well and the arrow pointing to right act as uncounscious driver of where we click in search of right click menu. I swear I had tried to click it several times before and never managed to hit the right spot. As it is, back again to preview to continue acquainting with it. Appreciate you taking the time to reply and glad to hear I was not the only one lost! Looking forward to seeing how you guys revamp the discoverability of functionality that got tucked away from view!

jeremyyoungs
Regular Visitor

I like the new option, but I absolutely do not like the fact that when it's turned on it removes the format bar entirely that previously existed to the right. Please allow an option to turn on both options or remove the format section.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.