Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Shape Map questions

Hey all,

Had a request from one of my reporting users for some things that I wanted to see if I could somehow accomplish with PBI shape maps that I haven't been able to find.

- Showing state names or abbreviations on the shape map.

- Adding clickable links on shape maps. (Click on a state and it takes you to a url, I have it currently generating a table with a URL icon, but the requestors found this very unappealing)

- Hiding blank tooltips if a value isn't present for that state.

I'm struggling because most of this seems like it should be easy to accomplish, but I can't find ways to do anything with it to accomplish these tasks.

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @cvillegas ,

- Showing state names or abbreviations on the shape map.

- Adding clickable links on shape maps. (Click on a state and it takes you to a url, I have it currently generating a table with a URL icon, but the requestors found this very unappealing)

- Hiding blank tooltips if a value isn't present for that state.

1. We should show the state names or abbreviations on the shape map and you could set the related Map shape for your data. This is an example for Australia. I create the shape map with the abbr column.
shape map.PNG

2. I'm afraid that we cannot add clickable links on shape maps currently in power bi desktop.

You may create a text box on the map and then insert link as a workaround.

Untitled.png

3. I'm afraid that the tooltip is not dynamic currently. 

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry @v-piga-msft ,

1. I mean showing it on the map itself. Your map doesn't have the data presented on the map itself.

2. I need it to be dynamic (meaning you click on a state and then a different value is present from a data source), but can't find a way to make the textbox data be dynamic. I've created a table with link and drillthrough, but this is really cludgy.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.