Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gotters
Helper II
Helper II

Setting report description in desktop

In power bi service I can view and edit the report description via "settings".

How is this achieved in Power BI desktop?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
gotters
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks. Can't understand why the functionality between Service and Desktop should be so different. Seems like a simple thing to have a description setting in pbi desktop.

Likewise with the REST API is there way to set the description? or is the ONLY way through PBI service?

Hi @gotters 

I don't find a way to set the description except through Power BI Service. I'm afraid it's the only way at present. You can raise an idea about this feature at Ideas (powerbi.com). There are already some ideas about report description that you can vote up:

Add report description to report / report tile

Adding a description and Tags to a Published PowerBI report.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gotters 

It is not supported to add a report description in Power BI Desktop. You can only add that in Power BI Service after publishing the report. 

If you want to add some descriptions about something created in Power BI Desktop, you can refer to the following article: Add descriptions for everything you create in Power BI! – Data – Marc

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.