Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zudar
Post Patron
Post Patron

Setting a default value for 'between' date slicer

Hi all,

Very simple question, but I'm (suprisingly) unable to find a solution from other topics.

I need a date slicer (between-mode) that selects the most recent 14 days by default... while still allowing end-users to pick any other period (for both start and end dates).

From what I've seen, this is impossible to accomplish in PowerBI. Is that true?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vanessafvg Ah, I now understand what you mean. The problem is that I wasn't planning to let those end-users in one the filter-pane on the right, because I believe they won't like that (they are very stubborn and not tech-savvy at all so they will probably find it difficult to use). I have it hidden right now.

But this notion is making me rethink that decision. If that's the only way to do it.. I might have to.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few years later, but I haven't found a solution to set the defaults values of a date slicer dynamically. But I found another work around that worked for me and thought I would share here.

I created 2 date slicers: one relative date slicer, that will be my "Default state", and one date selector slicer that will allow users to pick whatever date range they would like to see.

Note: important to make sure the bookmarks not only hide / show appropriate slicers, but also reset the dates on the one being hidden.

See below of the report with both "states" of the slicer.

Marc_1-1676503982192.png   Marc_2-1676503994532.png

RogerinDasTable
Frequent Visitor

@zudar Does you accomplished this task? 
I'm on the exact same problem as you, still not fouding anything that works on it :S 

No, I didn't accomplish it, unfortunately..

lehikk
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

Is it still the case that it's impossible to have a Between slicer that defaults to let's say last 30 days BUT allows the user to select any start/end dates with date pickers and WITHOUT accessing the filter panel in any way? It seems like a major drawback not to have such feature. We have clients that have been asking this for ages...

@lehikk 

Yeah, as far as I understand, that's not possible.

I've created a report for my company that will be shared with external clients as well and this is really something I'm having trouble with explaining to colleagues. At this point I just edit the report every now and then to select the most recent period and save it like that.. it's quite sad actually. 🙂

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@zudar , you have date slicer which can be made as range and you have relative date slicer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-slicer-filter-date-range

Or but a custom for a case like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duMSovyosXE

@amitchandak I think both solutions are not exactly what I need. I could be wrong on the second one, but the way the video was introduced doesn't sound like my requirement.

When my end-user opens the report, I want the most recent 14 days to be selected. After that, he/she should be free to select any start- and end date. Could be 100 days in the 1980's, for all I care. 😁

I think this is just impossible to accomplish..

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

it is possible if i understand you correctly, all you need do is select the relative filter on the visual slicer

Capture.PNG

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi! When I do your solution, my visuals doesnt change. Can you help me?

@vanessafvg The issue using that solution is that the slicer is then restricted to only (for example) the most recent 14 days. I want my end-users to be able to select any date range they want.. but that when they open the report, the most recent 14 days are selected by default. 

you can still manually change it.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg Ah, I now understand what you mean. The problem is that I wasn't planning to let those end-users in one the filter-pane on the right, because I believe they won't like that (they are very stubborn and not tech-savvy at all so they will probably find it difficult to use). I have it hidden right now.

But this notion is making me rethink that decision. If that's the only way to do it.. I might have to.

Thanks!

hi  @zudar 

Yes, Now when you log out of Power BI and come back to a report, the same items will be selected as when you left.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7162004-default-selected-slicer-o...

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.