Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Select item in table when filtered by slicer

I've got a box / cluster chart on my report which shows the range of results for students.

I've got a table with all teh student names. when I click on a student it highlights the result in the chart.

This is expected.

I'd likst to change the table to a drop down list so that it takes up less room on the page. I can't find a way of doing this without changing the table to a slicer.

So I've created a slicer, with then filters the table to the desired student name. However, the student name isn't selected on the table so the box chart doesn't change. (I've turned off the interaction to the slicer as I don't want it to filter and show just the single student)

Is there a way I can either, select the student name in the table after selecting it from a slicer, or convert the table to a drop down without it being a slicer.

TIA

3 REPLIES 3
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept the helpful reply as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can do this by using a disconnected table (student names) for the slicer. You then create a measure along the lines of:

conditional format =

VAR Student = VALUES(Table[Student name])

VAR DiscStudent = VALUES(DisconnectedTable[Student name])

RETURN

COUNTROWS(INTERSECT(Student, DiscStudent))

You can then use this measure for the conditional formatting for the visual, setting the format where the value of the measure is 1

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Consider the use of visual level or page level filters (in the filter pane).  That way you don't use up any real estate at all.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.