Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gpujolle
Frequent Visitor

Segment date display different option

Good morning,

I am trying to solve this problem : on powerbi desktop i use segment with date data to control some visuals, my standard is to let in "Relative Date", but then when i publish my dashboard on the web the users (ONLY powerBI pro user can acces to my dashboard) cannot change the type of filter they want, they could not choose a filter "between" they only have the segment in "relative date". It is not possible to have the menu to choose what type of filter you want to use. Is it possible to solve this problem ? 

power BI desktop:

power bi desktoppower bi desktop

Power BI web platform (Pro users with dashboard shared)

powerbi web plateformpowerbi web plateform 

thank you for helping me 

6 REPLIES 6
gpujolle
Frequent Visitor

Good morning, 

thank you for your explanation, you perfectly understood what problem i have, however I don't know where i have to go to parametrize these autorizations for my users. Could you help me? 

but, once i change these parameter they will have directly in the report the posibility to change relative date to between date slicer? 

Best regards,

Hi @gpujolle ,

These settigs need to be changed in Power BI Service on the workspace where you are publishing your report and further adding users to the workspace. There you can assign different permissions to the users whether they can view or edit the report.

Check the followibng article on this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-roles-new-workspaces

Yes this will allow them to modify the slicers by using the Edit option on the report.

The only caveat of this approach is every user will be modifying the filter type on the report based on their interest and this may just end up with several edits on the reports. I am not sure if this will work from a good usecase point of view.

In gneeral you develop reports in Power BI Desktop and share them with users in Power BI Service to consume the report, ir-respective of giving them capabilities to modify the report.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

I totalle agree with you, my objective is that my users do not have to use the "edit option" to change this type of filter. 

The objective is that 90% of my user they only want to see the last day for exemple, but sometime if they also want to see the data from the 12/06/2019 to 15/06/2020 so i have to give them the possiblity to do that. 

So i suppose it is totally impossible to let this possibility in the report without using the "Edit option"? 

Best regards

Hi @gpujolle ,

Yes in Power BI Service, once the reprt is published, without edit option you can't modify the visual type.

2 things I can suggest here:

1. May be give both types of filters on the report
  2. You can use a button/bookmark trick to show the type of filter users are interested in - say create 2 buttons: one for RELATIVE, second for RANGE. When user clicks on the buttons based on their requirement, relevant slicer type appears.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Good Morning,

thank you for helping me. the only problems with that solution is, if you let by defect the relative date segment with for exemple "the last day", when the person is going to display the range date (and hide the relative date) you cannot desactivate the interaction of relative date so it wont be possible to see another date. Or maybe i do not make it correctly? Is it posssible to desactivate interactions when you hide a segment? 

Best regards

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

HI @gpujolle ,

If you want the users in Power BI service to change the type of visual on the report (in your case modifying RELATIVE date slicer to BETWEEN date slicer); then you have to give those users along with view permissions edit permissions as well - this is because they are changing the slicer visual when compared to the original report.

Let me know if I have mis-understood your question.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.