Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

sachin_s
Frequent Visitor

Seeking Best practice guidance for accessing salesforce Objects

Hi,
I am working on a project to give sales insights by using the data from Salesforce.
The initial approach  I tried was to generate a report from SFDC export that to excel and then  use that excel as a data source for my BI project. I tried this approach since direct SFDC report has 20000 line limitation.

Parallelly I was trying to use the SFDC objects directly in another project. It worked fine initially. But now when I am creating a new project trying to connect the Objects, it is in the loading stage(loading rows, connecting to sfdc domain) for 1 hour and still the same.
I assume one possible reason as it has to fetch all the records (but it was not taking this much time when I tried loading SFDC data in another project) and my internet speed is 50mbps(upload/download)

Could someone share some insights on why it takes this long and also would love to know what is the best approach to use salesforce data realtime .

2 REPLIES 2
JasperDJ
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @sachin_s ,

My experience with salesforce is that the objects are few in number, but have alot of columns (300-500) which makes loading even a few thousand records a real hassle, especially when trying to add some columns or calculations in Power Query. 

What worked for me is to load the data in a Power BI dataflow, choose the columns that have relevant data and periodicly let it refresh during the day. 

Hi @JasperDJ ,
Thanks for this input.
I am trying to use the dataflow.
While I managed to pull the SFDC objects from SFDC, I am unable to connect to my dataflows while I select the dataflow option from Get data .
I am able to choose the data flow option, It tries to connect by asking us to sign in and it redirects to the Microsoft 365 authentication page. Even after choosing my account, it throws the AAD5TS50158 error.
I tried connecting via VPN and still, this issue persists.
May I know if you have experienced this issue and can you shed some light on how it got resolved?

aftervpn.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors