Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

prj102
Helper I
Helper I

Search box missing from Slicer in Power BI Desktop

For some reason I can't figure out how to enable the search box in a Slicer.  I've tried data that had more that 80k record and as little as 50.  Nothing seems to work.  Am I missing something?  Is there a flag or switch I need to flip?

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Barnee
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hello, 

in what data type is your data you wish to put in the slicer? As far as I see, you can only enable search for a text type column. 
Then you should click at the ... (3 dots) at the upper right corner of the slicer and you will find the option to enable search

Hope I could help!

Regard,

Barna

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Jnas
Advocate II
Advocate II

Here is also an other option which is super quick: Just select the slicer and hit ctrl + F : the search bar will appear.

This worked for me since the three dots are not available any more in the newest Power BI version. It says "This setting has moved. tochange the slicer style, select Format > Slicher settings > Options > Style". But there is no option to turn on the search there.

MarvinGallo
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone figured out a way to do a search with numerical values?

I have a work around.  I went into the query, and duplicated the numerical column, and then transformed that duplicate column to type text.  Then use that duplicate column as the field in the slicer, and as prior posters mentioned, click the 3 ...'s on the slicer (top or bottom corner) and enable search.

It seems silly that we can't search non-text fields though... <cough cough PBI dev team...>

rehman1
Helper I
Helper I

Hello, my issue is somehow related to this thread: i want to be able to type the text i want to filter the data on in the slicer. is there an option in Slicer to do so?

Hi @rehman1 
you can't do that in the Slicer visual but there is a custom visual called "Text Filter". That should have to be good for your issue.

Barnee
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hello, 

in what data type is your data you wish to put in the slicer? As far as I see, you can only enable search for a text type column. 
Then you should click at the ... (3 dots) at the upper right corner of the slicer and you will find the option to enable search

Hope I could help!

Regard,

Barna

Thanks For sharing this key point

Thanks For sharing this key point

MCornish
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

That is one one the most hidden features in this program. Along side the conditional formatting that only appears when you hover over it

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then you should click at the ... (3 dots) at the upper right corner  lower right corner of the slicer 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally found it. Microsoft should make it easier for people to know how to search text in slicers.

@Anonymous It's changing its position based on the placement of the visual lately that's why you found it at the lower corner I think. But thanks for mentioning it 🙂

So......   I checked the 3 dots after I posted and saw the "Search" option  Smiley LOL

Thanks for the help!

I can't find it out any clue?

Thanks a lot

Pierluigi

Hi,

you should be able to find it following the steps I described. Grab a slicer, add some text type data and in the upper right side of the slicer at the "..." there has to be the search option. 

Barna

The data is text system names but are in a table populated by a sql db connection. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.