Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdubs
Helper V
Helper V

Same exact SQL query returns 0 rows in Power BI

This is a new one. Very simple SQL query returns 0 rows in Power BI. I have literally copied and pasted the query directly from SQL. And no, I am not drunk. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdubs
Helper V
Helper V

Very strange. I used ODBC as the data source and it worked fine. Maybe it isn't returning all rows? The particular values (i.e. "True") aren't even showing as available values when I filter the column. There are only about 9 rows (out of hundreds of thousands) that meet this criteria. 

Anyway, moving on. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jdubs
Helper V
Helper V

Very strange. I used ODBC as the data source and it worked fine. Maybe it isn't returning all rows? The particular values (i.e. "True") aren't even showing as available values when I filter the column. There are only about 9 rows (out of hundreds of thousands) that meet this criteria. 

Anyway, moving on. 

jdubs
Helper V
Helper V

This is the x64 build of Power BI Desktop btw

jdubs
Helper V
Helper V

So this is in Power Query. I'm trying to set up the data source. I select SQL Server, enter the server name and database and then enter my query as above. I copied and pasted it directly from my SQL server where I know the syntax is correct and returns data. However, no data is returned here.

Oddly, if I select ODBC as my data source and enter all the same information, data is returned correctly.

Of note is that I just updated to the Dec. '23 release of Power BI and am wondering if that has something to do with it. I have never had this problem before. 

@jdubs 

I just connected to a local host SQL server from Power BI Dec 2023 version and it works:

Fowmy_0-1705685094512.png

Fowmy_1-1705685107799.png
Check if any permission issues exist.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

jdubs
Helper V
Helper V

Select column1, column2, column3, column4 from table where trueorfalsevalue = 1

It loads the columns but 0 rows are returned

@jdubs 

Not enough context and details to understand your issue. could share more info, wher have you written the code? show the result of the T-SQL result and in the Power BI.

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@jdubs 

Can you show how you have written the DAX query based on the T-SQL ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.