Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

KK22
Regular Visitor

SUM for the column is not calculated

Hi, I have a table Persentages where I manually changed column setting for March because when I refreshed data  Mar didn't come with the Σ sign.

KK22_1-1713205921849.png

However a Total for March is not showing on the report.

KK22_2-1713206019513.png

Please help me with explaining what I have done wrong.

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

One cause of this could be that there are none integer values in your March data. 
You can check this by clicking on the Transform data button and checking the data type of the March column in your table. 
If it is set as text, try and set it to decimal number. If that results in an error you will need to correct the cause of the error. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @KK22 ,
I’d like to acknowledge the valuable input provided by the @jgeddes   . His initial idea were instrumental in guiding my approach. However, I noticed that further details were needed to fully understand the issue. 
First for your comment about the sigma symbol not appearing after a data refresh. The first reason is that it is possible that the column was introduced in the original data in text form. As he said, you can go ahead and change the format of the column. The second reason is when the previous column is of numeric type, but your settings don't show it as an aggregation above

vheqmsft_3-1713249334974.png

If you drag a column that is not aggregated directly into the table visual object, the total will not be displayed. Of course, you can drag this non-aggregated column into the visual object and select aggregation in the drop-down options.

vheqmsft_2-1713249046699.png

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @KK22 ,
I’d like to acknowledge the valuable input provided by the @jgeddes   . His initial idea were instrumental in guiding my approach. However, I noticed that further details were needed to fully understand the issue. 
First for your comment about the sigma symbol not appearing after a data refresh. The first reason is that it is possible that the column was introduced in the original data in text form. As he said, you can go ahead and change the format of the column. The second reason is when the previous column is of numeric type, but your settings don't show it as an aggregation above

vheqmsft_3-1713249334974.png

If you drag a column that is not aggregated directly into the table visual object, the total will not be displayed. Of course, you can drag this non-aggregated column into the visual object and select aggregation in the drop-down options.

vheqmsft_2-1713249046699.png

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thank you Albert, for the detailed explanation. It was a teachable moment to me as well as jgeddes's reply.

KK22
Regular Visitor

Interesting trick, thank you for that. On formating tab I chose Decimal number, however when I clicked the Transform button the Type was Any. I changed to Decimal but unfortunately it still doesn't give me the total.

jgeddes
Super User
Super User

One cause of this could be that there are none integer values in your March data. 
You can check this by clicking on the Transform data button and checking the data type of the March column in your table. 
If it is set as text, try and set it to decimal number. If that results in an error you will need to correct the cause of the error. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.