Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SAVE AND APPLY FILTERS PER USER - POWER BI EMBEDDED

Hello,

Your help for below definition is much appreciated in advance.

I have set of charts created in Power BI service. Each chart has a slicer implemented in it, to allow users to filter the data/chart. These charts are embedded in Asp.Net MVC web application. So far so good.

We have a requirement where if user-x logins into Asp.Net MVC application and let's say uses slicer/filter in one of the embedded Power BI charts. Example, CarType=Sedan is filtered in one chart. Now, user should be able to save this filter somewhere (either on Power BI service side, or Asp.Net MVC web application's database) and should be able to give a name to this filter (example, MySedanFilter). When user logins next time in Asp.Net MVC application, lets say after a day or two, then he/she should be able to apply this saved filter (MySedanFilter) and embedded chart should reflect the data/chart accordingly.

Please suggest how to achieve such functionality.

Thanks,

Dhwani

7 REPLIES 7
suraj1208

Hello,

Whether the persistent filter will work for embed report version or not ?

If yes, What are the settings we need to do to achieve it ?

Thank you.

suraj1208

Hello,

I am trying to enable persistent filters for embed Power BI report. Can we enable persistent filters for embed reports ? If yes, what data (settings or filters) should persist after enabling persistent filter. What changes needs to be do for enabling persistent filtes.

Thank you.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

It seems like you want to use persistent filter on embedded report. I'd like to suggest you refer the following link about using persistent filter feature with power bi embedded:

Enable persistent filters in a Power BI embedded analytics application | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

I am trying to enable persistent filters for embed Power BI report. Can we enable persistent filters for embed reports ? If yes, what data (settings or filters) should persist after enabling persistent filter. What changes needs to be do for enabling persistent filtes.

Thank you.

Hello,

I have tried with above setting for power BI embed report but still filters are not persists. I am opening embed report in I-frame in ASP.NET application.

Please suggest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-shex-msft for your response.

1) We have Asp.Net MVC application where we want to embed Power BI reports. In our case, application owns the data (and not the user). So, there is a single Azure ApplicationId which is used to embed the reports and present it to all users of the application. I doubt Persistent Filters will work in this case. Please confirm.

2) Also, for my understanding, where these Persistent Filters are stored and for how much duration, per user? Like, 10 days? or likewise?

Thanks,

Dhwani Solanki

HI @Anonymous,

#1, After I double check on the document about 'Persistent Filters' and power bi embedded, it seems current works on 'organization' mode.  I'd like to suggest you try to use bookmarks or 'capture report views' to save difference filter effects.

Enhance your users' experience with bookmarks in Power BI embedded analytics | Microsoft Learn

Capture report views showcase | Microsoft Learn

#2, I check the document but not found anything about the lifecycle of Persistent filters, so I think currently these filters will be kept until users modify on saved filters.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.