Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AlinaP92

SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR() sums last quarter instead of showing the previous one

Hello,

I'm wondering how to force SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR() not to sum figures from the last available quarter taking into account that the quarter is not complete yet. 

The example is below. The function correctly takes figures from January and February 2013, shows them near January and February 2014, but when it comes to the quarter result, instead of seeing figures from Q1 2013 (2,656,502.36) I got a simple sum of January&February 2014 which equals 1,618,669.75. 

How to get 2,656,502.36 in the second column instead of 1,618,669.75?

Answers to the most typical questions:

1. I'm using a table that is marked as Date Table.

2. All connections between tables are established. 

3. There are no dates after the 4th of February in both fact and dimension tables. 

AlinaP92_0-1637244525017.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlinaP92

It turned out to be much easier. The date table should contain all dates related to the current year, even if the year hasn't ended yet. Then the calculations are correct.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlinaP92

It turned out to be much easier. The date table should contain all dates related to the current year, even if the year hasn't ended yet. Then the calculations are correct.

AlinaP92

Hello @amitchandak 

I'm currently using one SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR() formula that is applied to all time periods:

SalesSamePeriodLastYear = CALCULATE(SUM(fact_InternetSales[SalesAmount]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(dim_Date[Date]))

How do I calculate subtotals separately?
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@AlinaP92 , You can use last year same qtr in sub total using isinscope

If(isinscope(date[Qtr]) && not(isinscope(Date[Month] )) , [Last year Qtr sales], [Sales Sameperiod last year ])

example

Last year same QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)))
Last year same QTR full  Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))))

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.