Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Lightice83
Helper I
Helper I

Running 3 period total for Custom Periods

Trying to create a 3-period running total (current period & previous 2) where I am using custom periods (not dates). I can get it to work except I want the final value calculated to be the final period with values (in my example below I woud like the 2nd table to stop @ period '2022 - ON4')

I know I need to create an additional variable which calculates the final period & then put this as an IF statment at the beginning of the RETURN variable but just not sure of the formula

Thanks!!

EXAMPLE.PNG

=VAR Lastvisibleperiod = 
	MAX(Periods[Index])

VAR Firstvisibleperiod = 
	Lastvisibleperiod-2		

VAR Result = 
	CALCULATE(
		[IH - Sum of Sessions],
		Periods[Index]>=Firstvisibleperiod,
		Periods[Index]<=Lastvisibleperiod,
		ALL(Periods)
	)

RETURN
	Result

3 REPLIES 3
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure how your datamodel looks like, but please try the below measure whether it suits your requirement.

New measure: =
VAR Lastvisibleperiod =
    MAX ( Periods[Index] )
VAR Firstvisibleperiod = Lastvisibleperiod - 2
VAR Result =
    CALCULATE (
        [IH - Sum of Sessions],
        Periods[Index] >= Firstvisibleperiod,
        Periods[Index] <= Lastvisibleperiod,
        ALL ( Periods )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( Periods[PeriodsName] ) = "2023-ON1"
            || SELECTEDVALUE ( Periods[PeriodsName] ) = "2023-ON2",
        [IH - Sum of Sessions],
        Result
    )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Thanks @Jihwan_Kim but I didn't want to hardcode in period names as this will change each time we update the datasource so basically I need the calculation to stop in the last period there is data for that period in the fact table. Is there a way to do this?

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I think you can try to amend the logic something like below.

if the selected fiscal-year is the last fiscal year, then [IH - Sum of Sessions], otherwise, result.

Or, please share your sample pbix file's link here, and then I can try to look into it to come up with a more accurate solution.

Thank you.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.