Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Joachimnicho
Frequent Visitor

Return a value based on the latest date

Hi,

I have an issue. 

I am trying to return a value, which is text, based on a date corresponding to the same row, but in a different column.

The problem is, that I have som duplicate values in the column, where I wish to return the value.

So I am trying to build a formula, which returns a text value based on the latest date. 

I have tried multiple variations of LOOKUPVALUE combined with LASTDATE and MAX, but it keeps saying that "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected"

Any help is appreciated, since I am new to Power Bi. 🙂  

8 REPLIES 8
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Joachimnicho wrote:

Hi,

I have an issue. 

I am trying to return a value, which is text, based on a date corresponding to the same row, but in a different column.

The problem is, that I have som duplicate values in the column, where I wish to return the value.

So I am trying to build a formula, which returns a text value based on the latest date. 

I have tried multiple variations of LOOKUPVALUE combined with LASTDATE and MAX, but it keeps saying that "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected"

@Joachimnicho

You can see a simple demo as below.

return value =
 ( CALCULATE ( MAX ( Sheet[date] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Sheet, Sheet[value] ) ) )
return =
MAXX ( FILTER ( Sheet, Sheet[date] = Sheet[lasted date] ), Sheet[value] )

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

@Eric_Zhang wrote:

@Joachimnicho wrote:

Hi,

I have an issue. 

@Joachimnicho

return value =
return =

@Eric_Zhang wrote:

@Joachimnicho wrote:

Hi,

I have an issue. 

@Joachimnicho

return value =
return =

I have tried to apply your formula. 

Firstly, the "return value" formula returns a date - not a value? 

Secondly, the "return" formula only returns the last value in the value column. Meaning that the same value is returned in the entire column. 

Can you explain this? 

Thanks!

Thank you for your time!

But I need to hold the [projektnummer] in the table where I want to extract the value [Leverancetype] equal to [Job_no] in the table I am going to post the value. How do I apply that to formula?

Joachimnicho
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have an issue.

I have a column, which is text. 

Problem is I have duplicate values, but with different starting dates. 

How can I set up a formula, which returns the value(text) starting at the latest date?

I have tried functions such as: LASTDATE and MAX, but cannot seem to make it work. 

Any help is appreciated, since I am new to Power Bi! 🙂 

Hi @Joachimnicho,

Could you please draw your table and table-result that you want to receive.

Hi again,

This is a picture of the table. 

I wish to make a new column in a different table, where it returns the [Leverancetype] with the latest date [Datostempel].

I set the function to hold [Projektnr] from this table equal to [Job no] in the table I wish to post the new column with the [Leverancetype]. My formula looks like the following, but does not work unfortunately:

Leverancetype = LOOKUPVALUE(ProjektSpec[Leverancetype];ProjektSpec[Projektnr];'Job Task'[Job No_])&LASTDATE(ProjektSpec[Datostempel].[Date])

table.png

I hope this helps and makes the situation more clear! 

Thank you for your time! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @Joachimnicho

Can you post your fomular here?

Regards.

Hi again

I have tried this formula:

Leverancetype = LOOKUPVALUE(ProjektSpec[Leverancetype];ProjektSpec[Projektnr];'Job Task'[Job No_])&LASTDATE(ProjektSpec[Datostempel].[Date])

Trying to return [Leverancetype) by holding the project number from the table with the [Leverancetype] equal to the project number from the table I wish to post in. Secondly I need it to take the [Leverancetype] based on the latest date. But due to multiple values in the column [Leverancetype] being the same it doesn't work. That is why I need the date filtering.

I hope this made my situation clearer!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.