Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Justas4478
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Restricting visible live dataset data

Hello, I was asked to find out is it possible to restrict live connection to the tables or columns in the database that you are using in power bi for your report creation. I will use image I attached as example of the situations of what I mean. For example when user A connects to the live dataset to create his power BI report he would be able to see all the tables, columns and measures. When user B would connect same live dataset to create his report he would not be able to see Area table and Promotion measure group. And then user C woudnt see Area Manager Email column from the Area table and Promotion Value measure from Promotion measure group. Live dataset restrictions.PNG I hope I managed to explain the question if not please respond and I will try to clarify and misunderstanding.

2 REPLIES 2
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Justas4478 

I think you need to apply OLS Object Level Security allow access based on user on select tables or Columns:

Refer to these resources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tj_TqbzFMM
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/object-level-security-ols-now-available-for-public-preview-...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Justas4478
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

If I understand correctly the solutions you linked only restrict for the user that is viewing completed report. That is not this level of security. I would like to know is it possible to restrict to the person who is creating the report and not viewing completed reports. Example if I want to create report I connect to live datacube that is provided by my company. So far everyone when they connect to live datacube they all can use all information in report creation. It would be just solution if it is possible but only for the report creation level and not report viewing level. I hope it makes sense what I write here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.