Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anthea
Frequent Visitor

Restricting access to some data in desktop version

Hello

On the web version I am using Row level security to restrict access to some of the data on teh dashboards, however is there a way to restrict access to data when sending them the desktop version of a dashboard? Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anthea ,

You can use row-level security (RLS) with Power BI Desktop to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data at the row level. You can define filters within roles.

You can set RLS under Import or Direct Query mode in power bi desktop(Connect live needs to do that within the Analysis Services model):

1. Modeling -> Manage Roles -> Create roles
  2. Under Tables, select the table to which you want to apply a DAX rule.
  3. In the Table filter DAX expression box, enter the DAX expressions. This expression returns a value of true or false.

Considerations:

1. You can't assign users to a role within Power BI Desktop. You assign them in the Power BI service. You can enable dynamic security within Power BI Desktop by making use of the username() or userprincipalname() DAX functions and having the proper relationships configured.
  2. If you defined roles and rules within the Power BI service, you need to recreate those roles within Power BI Desktop and publish the report to the service.

For further information about RLS, you can refer the following Microsoft documents that could help you:

1. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-rls
  2. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

edhans
Super User
Super User

No. The desktop app is a developer app and gives full access to the data. It isn't meant to be a distribution model with any type of security.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.