Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thorpyuk
Helper III
Helper III

Reset one slicer when changing another

Hi, is it possible to have one slicer 'clear selections' on another when a different selection is made?

EG, if i have a slicer with a choice of 'cars' or 'motorbikes', and then a 2nd slicer with dropdown options of different types, at the moment if i select a car type, like 'hatchback', but then change from 'cars' to 'motorbikes', nothing is shown on my page because obviously there aren't any hatchback motorbikes!

I want my 2nd slicer always to default to 'all' once the first is changed - is this possible?

12 REPLIES 12
dlsfhdlfkjh44

I'm also in need of this functionality. Is any work being done on it?

moonlit337
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @thorpyuk , did you found a solution for this? I am also having the same issue.

Radhika2605
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @thorpyuk 

I believe is what you are looking for - 

https://youtu.be/cyOquvfhzNM

Please mark this as a solution if this answers your query.

Thanks

Radhika

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Radhika

Thanks a lot for the tip. Much appreciated!

However, the issue still remains: the selection on the 2nd slicer does move according to the selection on the first slicer. However, the selection in the 2nd slicer does not default to the top element in that 2nd slicer. This is the functionality that I need.

Thanks again

BernardNie

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you please clarify a bit more, may be using an example please?

Thanks

Radhika

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Radhika

I have the following (very simple) dataset

• Table 'Countries' with the field [Country]
  • Table 'Sales' with the fields [Country], [Quarter], [Sales]
  • One to Many relationship between the tables

Slicers:

• One on 'Countries'[Country]
  • One on 'Sales'[Quarter]

Step 1: Select a Country = "Australia"

• The 2nd slicer shows the Quarter
  • Select the Quarter 2
  • Everything is working well

2021-09-02_12-14-40.jpg

Step 2: Select the Country = "UK"

• The slicer for the Quarter stays on Quarter 2
  • The required behaviour is for the slicer on the Quarter to move to the top again automatically  (to Quarter 1)

2021-09-02_12-16-29.jpg

So, every time a Country is changed, the Quarter filter must reset to Quarter 1.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

BernardNie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all

Does anyone know of an update on this? 

I have a similar problem:

• Slicer on a table with the names of the Countries
  • Slicer on a table with the Quarters of the year
  • I use the normal PBI slicers

When I select a Country and a Quarter (e.g. Q3), I get the correct results from Sales.

However, when I select a new Country, the slicer with the Quarter does not reset to Q1. This is the behaviour that I need. The interaction should be immediate, so I do not think that I can trigger a bookmark.

Any ideas, please? Are there any 3rd party slicer visualizations that may address this issue?

Thanks a lot!

BernardNie

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@thorpyuk, unfortunately, that is not possible at this point of time, slicer keep the selection and it doesn't reset if you select the value from the different slicer, it is how slicers currently work, I think there is an idea on this on ideas forum, do vote for it.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi! do you know if this is still true now? thanks a lot in advance

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi Amitchandak, no because i have other slicers on the page (EG date) that i don't want to clear, so a bookmark is no good...

Is it not possible to clear only one?

Hello,

Did you manage to find a fix for this?

I am currently trying to reset the zoom slider with a button/option but keep my remaining filters the same. Or at least default the zoom slider when i change one of the other filters.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.