Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Victormar
Helper IV
Helper IV

Represent contracted data variations in a line chart

Hello community,

I have a table with contracted changing conditions regarding mileage per year for many contracts. There is a column called introduction date that records when there is a change. The process is that when they change the mileage, a new row is added and the introduction date contains the change date.

Now, I would like to have a line char representing these changes, but what I get is just points or lines going up and down like:

Victormar_0-1707990645051.png

I was thinking that one approach could be to generate a new table with all the range of dates, and then replicate the mileage value until there is a change. But I don't know how to do it, and I don't know if it's the best approach. 

In the past I did when having two columns (start date and end date), with the GENERATE FUNCTION. 

Any ideas on how to do it?

Just to be clear, I would like something like:

Victormar_1-1707990996842.png

Hope it makes sense! Thanks for your time and help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-weiyan1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Victormar ,

I understand your needs, please try the following steps.

My Sample:

vweiyan1msft_3-1708504684657.png

The fields in the line chart are as follows.

vweiyan1msft_0-1708504490700.png

Please select your line chart, and in the Visualizations pane, under Visual > Lines, change the Line Type to Step.

vweiyan1msft_1-1708504508545.png

Result is as below.

vweiyan1msft_2-1708504525296.png

Best Regards,
Yulia Yan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-weiyan1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Victormar ,

I understand your needs, please try the following steps.

My Sample:

vweiyan1msft_3-1708504684657.png

The fields in the line chart are as follows.

vweiyan1msft_0-1708504490700.png

Please select your line chart, and in the Visualizations pane, under Visual > Lines, change the Line Type to Step.

vweiyan1msft_1-1708504508545.png

Result is as below.

vweiyan1msft_2-1708504525296.png

Best Regards,
Yulia Yan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Worked really good, exactly what I needed. Many thanks!

One more question, is there any possibility to extend the lines until today, if that makes sense?

v-weiyan1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Victormar ,

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly.
Based on your description, it seems like you want to create a line chart that shows the mileage per year for each contract over time, and reflects the changes in the introduction date column.
If I've misunderstood you, can you share sample data and the results you are hoping for? We can better understand the problem and help you. Show it as a screenshot or excel. Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Best Regards,
Yulia Yan

Hello, and thanks your your answer @v-weiyan1-msft .

I have a table like:

Victormar_0-1708078481402.png

Showing what each chassis has contracted. I want to build a line chart with these values, but I want the line to be steady over time until there is a change. If I do a line chart now, and the dates are separated by 2 months, and the annual mileage aumented from 50000km a year to 700000km, then the line would be diagonally increasing.

If the annual mileage at some point of time was 50000, I want to see this value until there is a change, like:

Victormar_1-1708078618974.png

The thing is that in the table I only have the date were there was a change. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.