Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jfollen
Frequent Visitor

Rename Column error

Hello,

I have a PBI report that I've been working on for a year and now all of a sudden, any column in the Data view that I click on, I get the following 'Rename Column' error.  This includes columns that have had no upstream transformation/rename in Power Query.  Does anyone know if this is a new bug or similar?  My version info:  Version: 2.126.927.0 64-bit (February 2024).  Please note a screenshot of the error below.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim

jfollen_0-1708965394362.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jfollen ,

amitchandak said it well.

According to the error screenshot you provided, the error is displayed because the name is already used by the measure. Please use a different name.

Make sure there are no hidden measures or calculated columns with the same name as the column you are trying to assign. Power BI does not allow duplicate names for columns, measures, and tables in the same report.

Did you rename the column in the "Data" view? If renaming directly in the Data view causes problems, try using the Power Query editor to rename the column. This can sometimes bypass conflicts found in the "Data" view.

Please follow these step:

1. Home>Transform Data>Open the Power Query Editor, find the column you want to rename, right-click on it and select Rename.

2. Enter a new name, making sure it is unique in the dataset.

3. Close and Apply.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Thank you @amitchandak and @v-huijiey-msft for your responses, the suggestions make perfect sense.  However, this is a report I've worked on for a long time and I am getting this error now with any column I click on across any table...even for those I haven't transformed or renamed in months (or ever).  I can try renaming/refactoring, but this feels more like a system bug to me and I was curious if others had experienced something similar.  Thanks again.  Jim

Same issue as I am having. I'm not trying to change the name. Just clicking out of a calculated column causes this, even when I have not made any changes. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jfollen , Seem like you have another column or measure created with the same name using DAX, which is why it is giving this error.

If you think that is not the case, create an issue - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.