Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

powerbilearner9
Regular Visitor

Relationships with three datasets and one lookup table

Hi,

I am having an issue with my relationships in Power BI Desktop. I have three datasets and one lookup table for an enterprise-wide budget dashboard. The datasets and lookup table information is found below. 

Datasets:

1. Main Consulting Firm- "Administrative Contract"
    • Key Column(s): Division, costs of administrative contract
  2. Small subscription based contracts-- "Other Contracts"
    • Key Column(s): Division, costs of other contracts
  3. Enterprise-wide data -- "Aggregated Dataset"
    • Key Column(s): Division, Line Item, Salary Costs, Travel Costs, Training Costs, Rent Costs

Lookup Table:

1. Division
    • Key Column(s): Division (basically each division in the enterprise)

Essentially each of the 3 datasets has a M:1 relationship with the lookup table in order to be able to look at the Costs of Administrative Contract, Other Contracts, and Salary/ Travel/ Training/ Rent Costs in one table. However, the "Aggregated Dataset" simply sums each of the columns and does not separate them by division when included in one table. See sample table below. 

DivisionAdministrative Contract CostOther ContractsSalary CostTraining CostTravel CostRent Cost
 $1,950$2,100$2,000,000$4,500$2,000$10,000
1$10,000$4,000    
2$5,000$1,000    
3$3,500$1,600    
4$400$1,100    
5$7,000$2,300    
Total$27,850$12,100$2,000,000$4,500$2,000$10,000

How do I get the table to disperse the Salary/ Training / Travel / Rent costs across divisions? The relationship between Division in the Lookup Table and Division in the "Aggregated Dataset" is active yet it does not seem to read it.

Thanks!

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@powerbilearner9,

Check if divisions are exactly matched.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@powerbilearner9,

Drag [Division] from the Lookup Table and make sure it contains all the divisions.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No luck unfortunately. It still leaves the "Division" column blank when I try to add other costs and sums all costs on one line. Thank you for your response, though!

@powerbilearner9,

Check if divisions are exactly matched.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.