Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relationship issue

Hi Fellow modelers,

I need help with a scenario. I understand the conceptual difference between one-many / many-many relationships and the nuances of many-many. I have a situation where i am using a refence file in my model and can't use many-many relationship due to reference file constraints. I have 2 tables from two different sources with no unique ID columns which can match. The only column which can be used to create relationship is non-unique. A 3rd table is used as referece which comes from client and is used for mapping. It has unique values and used to create a sort of bridge between 1st two tables. I'm currently using a live connection due to security constraints and can't import the data for atleast one of the sources.

Now the issue i'm facing is that i need to provide a decomposition with no scalar value used. Below eg shows : Provide company name and CIM ID. Can't use any scalar value as some end users use report directly to make their own reports.

sbelani_0-1629192204287.png

sbelani_1-1629192273150.png

sbelani_2-1629192306574.png

What can be a workaround or fix for this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Make one of the columns as aggregated like first/last min/max

Ideally, speaking you should analyze table and table 2 along with table 3 only

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak I understand and i could use another column or pull in same CIM ID column as scalar and it would work. But i can't tell end users (more than 500 and keep on adding) to do it in a specific way. Their requirement is pretty straightforward : "Provide CIM IDs for each Companies referred in file". So they send in a file with IDs  and they keep sending request with sasme issue and i tell them to pull in a scalar value to get the required details but i need to find a better way to cope with this issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.