Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jadhalaoui
Helper I
Helper I

Refreshing Online Reports built on Desktop with a Personal Gateway

Situation

• Amazon Redshift is the Warehouse used to pull data
  • No dataflow was created, instead...
  • Reports were built on PowerBI desktop and published to PowerBI web
  • A personal gateway was used to ensure refresh
  • Over 150 measures were created, and data model was heavily transformed

Challenge

• The reports do not refresh when the PC used to create the reports and hosts the gateway is off

Desire

• Allow the reports to refersh when the PC used to create the reports is offline
  • Do that with minimal need to recreate all the measures and re-transforming all the data model

Can somebody assist please?

jadhalaoui_0-1606200506518.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jadhalaoui 

As mentioned in  this offical document,it isn't suggested to install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. 

To refresh the data normally, you must ensure that the computer where the gateway is installed is always online. You also can consider migrating all your data to the public cloud service platform ,such as azure.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jadhalaoui 

As mentioned in  this offical document,it isn't suggested to install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. 

To refresh the data normally, you must ensure that the computer where the gateway is installed is always online. You also can consider migrating all your data to the public cloud service platform ,such as azure.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jadhalaoui , if the PC is offline you can refresh the report. Better to install the gateway on a common machine and from there publish the power bi file and manage

Hi @amitchandak - is there any other way to do it so that there's no reliance on a machine? 

Something like migrating where the dataset is hosted and refreshed? Similar to what we do when setting up a dataflow.

If not, I will transfer the report to our local server. I can search resources for how to do that if the option I suggested above is not feasible.

If I were to do that, also, how do I keep updating the reports from my PC and publishing it online without having to always manually sync it to the server?

Thank you for your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.