Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nosh10
Helper II
Helper II

Refresh Excel Spreadsheet and PBI Dashboard on Teams

Hello!

I have an Excel spreadsheet saved on my desktop, along with a PBI dashboard that I created using Power BI Desktop. I created a workspace on MS Teams and uploaded the Excel spreadsheet and PBI dashboard to the workspace. I would like to:

1) Update and save changes in the spreadsheet in the workspace

2) Auto refresh the PBI dashboard when the spreadsheet is updated in the workspace

As of now, I can't save changes to the spreadsheet in the workspace and the refresh option is grayed out. Is there a solution? 

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Nosh10 

You can save your spreadsheet in OneDrive and create a report by this spreadsheet on OneDrive.

Then turn on Onedrive refresh in dataset setting, and your dataset in service will refresh hourly.

You may refer to this blog for more details.

Blog: OneDrive refresh 

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nosh10 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

In the workspace the report is published to on the Power BI service, go to the data source settings (the three vertical dots).  From there go to Scheduled Refresh and hit the toggle to keep data up to date.

Licensing may prevent you from refreshing hourly (Pro licenses can update at most 8 times a day, for example).

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Park the spreadsheet on SharePoint or OneDrive, not your desktop.  You should be able to refresh without a gateway then.  Remember to change the source of the data in Power Query to use Web.Contents(pointing at the path of the folder in SHarePoint/OneDrive) instead of File.Contents(with an absolutel path to your desktop)

@littlemojopuppy Thank you. How do I get to Power Query using PBI on Teams? There isn't an option. 

You're going to need to get the report .pbix file (or the report author to) to make the modifications

@littlemojopuppyI'm not understanding. I have the .pbix file that I uploaded to Teams. When I open the file, I don't see an option for query editor. Is it in another location?

If you have the .pbix file you should open it in Power BI Desktop and make the changes with Transform Data in the ribbon.  Once changes are made, republish to Teams

@littlemojopuppy 

Thank you. I have one last question if you don't mind. I saved the spreadsheet and dashboard on One Drive and created a workspace. After making updates to the spreadsheet, how do I get the dashboard to refresh every hour? There is a configuration that needs to be done on the back-end, I think. Thank you. 

Hi @Nosh10 

You can save your spreadsheet in OneDrive and create a report by this spreadsheet on OneDrive.

Then turn on Onedrive refresh in dataset setting, and your dataset in service will refresh hourly.

You may refer to this blog for more details.

Blog: OneDrive refresh 

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.