Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JemmaD
Resolver II
Resolver II

Reference an entire Direct Query table to a new table in Query Editor

So I have a table which uses Direct Query (for good reasons) but the measures which refer to this table are very slow.

I had this idea to simply reference the data in Query Editor - like a snapshot of each column in the direct query table, then prevent the Direct Query table from loading, and pointing the measures to the snapshot table.

Can I reference whole columns in a new table in Query Editor?

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JemmaD , I doubt you can convert a measure to a power query column, unless very simple.

You check aggregated tables, that can help to improve performance

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-aggregations

Hi @amitchandak I mean that I create a snapshot table of the direct query table - so just a copy of the data that is within it, then use my measures to point to the new table instead of the direct query table, to speed up the measures. So, I need to create a blank query table in Query Editor, and just tell it to reference the columns in my other table. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.