Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

larryneal
Frequent Visitor

Recreating Excel Table

Grettings, 

I am looking to recreate the following table from Excel inside of Power BI. 

2020-01-14 10_26_26-Book2 - Excel.png

This is a single staff person with a summary of time based on specific catories over the course of a year (fiscal). The data exist as individual transactions in a SQL DB, including the following fields: date, staff, hours, timecategory. I have a date table established. 

I'm pretty early in my PowerBI development. So, if you can point me the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I've found a couple of post but nothing that is quite the same. 

Thanks,

Larry

8 REPLIES 8
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @larryneal ,

Do you want to make the matrix in EXCEL?

And your data source is from SQL DB?

Maybe you can use PowerQuery to connect the databases?

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/ 

Or use ODBC to connect the databases.

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/ 

After getting the data, you can create PivotTable to create a matrix.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

bchager6
Super User
Super User

Can you share the Excel? You could use a matrix visualization for that.

The Excel file does not pull any data. It only has very simple calculations such as summing across the row. 

OK so the Excel snag you showed is just an example of what you'd like to see. 

Have you been able to connect Power BI to the SQL database?

Correct. 

Yes, I have PBI connected to the DB and have been performing other reports within PBI. I have some measures created with some of these values (i.e. TotalPTO, PriorYearPTO, NetHours, PriorYearNetHours, etc.). Where I am struggling is how do I create rows that match excel and then pull in the columns. I'm assuming the columns would be my measures/calculated columns. 

Sounds like you want to create a table with a Financial Performance column and do lookups to bring in the metrics shown in the remaining columns of the Excel snag. Is that correct?

That sounds like what I'm looking for. 

I would also have a slicer that would allow me to select the person/staff that I was interested in looking at these values for. 

I believe one would need to see your data/data model to guide further. Without it, all I can recommend is going to the Modeling tab, "New Table" to create a table, and then doing some research on the myriad of DAX functions available to bring in the data you need.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.