Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

omrdmr
Helper I
Helper I

Receiving "We couldn't convert to Number" error although I am not trying to convert to Number

Hi,

I have a field contains mostly numerical values except a few of them has values with a * suffix. Hence I formatted the field as Text.

After formatting, I receive the error "We couldn't convert to Number".

Why does this happen and how can I resolve this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you replace any steps in the Query Editor that may be attempting to convert it to a number? I've had issues before where I set it to text, but didn't remove the autodetect step that was trying to convert it to a number.

Alternatively, if that asterisk has meaning, you might make a custom column that shows true/false on whether the asterisk is present, and then strip the asterisks from your column so that you can actually make it numeric.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you replace any steps in the Query Editor that may be attempting to convert it to a number? I've had issues before where I set it to text, but didn't remove the autodetect step that was trying to convert it to a number.

Alternatively, if that asterisk has meaning, you might make a custom column that shows true/false on whether the asterisk is present, and then strip the asterisks from your column so that you can actually make it numeric.

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, I was receiving the error exactly for that reason.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.