Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

DavidWaters100
Post Patron
Post Patron

Ranking for a product - new ranking for each year

Hi,  I have gone through a lot of answers to questions on here about Rank X, but cannot apply any of them successfully to my scenario.

I have a product category, sales and dates (year).  What I need to do is return the rank of the product for each year (independent of any other years).  So the ranking of a product for any given year only.

I wanted to build a table which showed each product in rows and the ranking position for each year in columns.  But struggling to get this to work!

Any help greatly appreciated...thanks

Proud to be a Super User!
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @amitchandak, thanks for the links - I already looked at these but could not get the scenario to work at the moment!

@DavidWaters100 , Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Hi @amitchandak 

I have created a dummy file with the same problem and the drop box link is below.  The expected result should be possible but I cannot get it to work!

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Top%20Ten%20problem%20example.pbix?role=personal

I have a measure which is returning amounts for the top ten companies in April this year and putting the rest in "other". I then need to return the amounts for last year - for the same top ten companies in this year. The measure for the previous year correctly returns last year amounts where they exist, but instead of putting the rest in "Others" it lists them in an "extended" Top ten category. The "Other" total is wrong too.

Per below - gold is correct top ten, and last years values for this top ten are returned. But I was expecting the amounts for companies S to Z to fall in the "other" category. Maybe there is a simpler way to do this but I have repeatedly tried and failed!

For now I have fudged the result using Top N filter and created a separate visual for "other" and arranged them together so it looks like they are part of the same visual but it's messy and the columns do not line up perfectly and it renders very slowly in the app! I really need to create this in one neat visual.

If you have any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. thanks

example4.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.