Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

xuxxay88
Helper I
Helper I

RLS not filtering related table

Hi,

I have applied RLS to an embedded report and it works as it should in some respects but not others.

Below is just a snippet of the model setup and where I am having the issue.
xuxxay88_0-1650468586667.png

RLS is applied to the UserID/RetailerID table, [UserID]=Username(). This then filters the retailer ID's in the connected table based on what that User ID can see and in my actual model that then connects to the main data and filters that accordingly and works as it should.

When I use the 'View As' function in Desktop, this enacts the 2 way relationship between the retailer and retailer group tables meaning in a slicer with the retailer groups in it, the user can ONLY see the groups they are affiliated with via the retailer table. When I view this report once published and via the site it is embedded on, the RLS works and filters the data, but I can see ALL retailer groups in the retailer group slicer and it is not behaving as it does in the 'View As'.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
electrifiedg
Regular Visitor

For anyone else who may need the answer to this question:

I had this problem on my data model, and I solved it by enabling the security filter to go both directions.

"By default, row-level security filtering uses single-directional filters, whether the relationships are set to single direction or bi-directional. You can manually enable bi-directional cross-filtering with row-level security by selecting the relationship and checking the Apply security filter in both directions checkbox. Note that if a table takes part in multiple bi-directional relationships you can only select this option for one of those relationships. Select this option when you've also implemented dynamic row-level security at the server level, where row-level security is based on username or login ID." 

- from Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

xuxxay88
Helper I
Helper I

Bump

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @xuxxay88 ,

Are Retailer ID and Retailer Group ID the same?

Otherwise how do you connect these two tables?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi,

Apologies in the Retailer table it holds the Retailer ID, Retailer Name and Retailer Group ID, the Group ID then connects to the Group Table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.