Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smiyatak

Question Regarding to Data Type

Hi

I would like to ask a question regarding to data type of the retail analysis sample that I downloaded from this power BI website

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-sample-retail-analysis-take-a-tour/

The picture shows the list of fields/measures. There is a traffic signal icon on the bottom of the list where it says "This Year Sales". Could someone tell me what this is and how this works/ how it was made?  

Capture.PNG

Similary, this is also from same sample data. On the top of the fields list, there is icon where it says "Date".

Please describe what it is and how this works/ how it was made.  Thank you!

Capture1.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smiyatak,

In my opinion, the icon before the "Date" is created in data model of workbook.

q2.PNG

When you export workbook to Power BI, it's generated automatically when detecting the elements from the workbook. It doesn't have special meaning, you can check data type of this field in Power BI, then use it in visuals.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smiyatak,

In my opinion, the icon before the "Date" is created in data model of workbook.

q2.PNG

When you export workbook to Power BI, it's generated automatically when detecting the elements from the workbook. It doesn't have special meaning, you can check data type of this field in Power BI, then use it in visuals.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you!

smiyatak

In the signal like icon, it has value, Goal and Status

3.PNG

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@smiyatak

Unfortunately currently you can't create the KPIs in PBI - you have to import from Power Pivot (Excel)

Look at my response here

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Is-it-possible-to-create-a-similar-report-visual/td-p/33530/...

KPIs.png

and then

Please VOTE here

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6556753-ability-to-set-goals-and-...

That isn't a data type. It's a hierarchy of several different columns. It's used when you want to pre-set drilldown behavior for a set of columns. For instance, you could have a hierarchy like Country > Province > City. Or Year > Quarter > Month. You create this by dragging and dropping one column over another in the Fields area of the report editor, or by right-clicking on a column and selecting New Hierarchy.  Oops, nope. I need to wear my reading glasses. That's the symbol for KPI, not hierarchy.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors