Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Digger
Post Patron
Post Patron

Query references other queries or steps, so it may not directly ac

Why after 1 year excellent work fck PBI begin show this error

Query (step 'Expanded _A_FullFilments') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

only on refresh, no error in transform data, nothing was changed in database?

WTF?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Digger you are having this issue because you are merging two queries with a different privacy level. You can go to data source settings -> Edit permissions, and verify that all the sources are at either "None" or "Organizational" or "Public" privacy setting. Remeber, that not all privacy level sources can be merged.

You can read more about privacy levels and which source can merge here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/desktop-privacy-levels

@Anonymous no, you are worng im using same privacy levels

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Digger I had a similar problem which I resolved by in a similar manner. The error that I had was following

kwaleed_0-1672246399488.png

Anyways, I hope you find a solution that fits your problem

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Digger ,

Whether your problem has been resolved? If yes, could you please mark the helpful post as Answered? It will help the others in the community find the solution easily if they face the same problem as yours. Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Digger ,

Please review the following links which has the same problem as yours, hope the solution also can help you solve the problem.

Power BI: Query references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source.

Go to File>Options/Setting>Options

1. Uncheck Require user approval for new native database queries under Native Database Queries in Security options.

yingyinr_0-1657697831714.png

2. Ignore Privacy level setting under privacy options

yingyinr_2-1657698900251.png

Behind the scenes of the Data Privacy Firewall

Power Query Errors: Please Rebuild This Data Combination

Query references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data

If the above ones can't help you solve the problem, please provide the applied codes of the query which get the error. If this query reference any other query, please also provide the related applied codes. Thank you.

Query Editor – Editing M Code

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This worked for me, but I am not sure it makes sense to me. Privacy settings were the same for both sources, so why that would start to pop up out of the blue at some point, who knows. Either way, thanks!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Digger , Not very clear. If it using some reference table or some other tables are used in the refresh. Just refresh and check those tables on which this is dependent, are they giving any errors. If not post that refresh this and check

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.