Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mdatmain
Regular Visitor

Published report does not update data unless republished

I have developed a dashboard in the Desktop application, and published it. This works fine. Whenever my dataset is updated, and I press refresh on the desktop app, the new data will populate my reports; however, on the web version the report is still showing old data.

I am looking at my refresh history and it is not showing the refresh from the desktop version. It is showing that last refresh was only when the report was published. 

I have checked my query and it is "Include in Report Refresh" IS checked. I have also cleared my cache after refreshing my report. There is nothing that seems to re-fresh the data unless I re-publish the report. 

Please advise, thank you very much. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mdatmain ,

Whenever my dataset is updated, and I press refresh on the desktop app, the new data will populate my reports; however, on the web version the report is still showing old data.

If you want to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service, it is needed to operate in Power BI Service, not in Power BI Desktop.

Please refer to this official document to learn more about data refresh in Power BI.

If your data sources are in cloud, usually you can refresh the dataset directly after configuring data source credentials.

refresh.JPG

refresh2.JPGrefresh1.JPG

If your data sources are in local or in cloud but behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks, you will need a gateway to refresh your dataset. Please refer to these official documents:

1. What is an on-premises data gateway? | Microsoft Docs

2. Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

3. Manage an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

4. Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

5. Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mdatmain ,

Whenever my dataset is updated, and I press refresh on the desktop app, the new data will populate my reports; however, on the web version the report is still showing old data.

If you want to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service, it is needed to operate in Power BI Service, not in Power BI Desktop.

Please refer to this official document to learn more about data refresh in Power BI.

If your data sources are in cloud, usually you can refresh the dataset directly after configuring data source credentials.

refresh.JPG

refresh2.JPGrefresh1.JPG

If your data sources are in local or in cloud but behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks, you will need a gateway to refresh your dataset. Please refer to these official documents:

1. What is an on-premises data gateway? | Microsoft Docs

2. Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

3. Manage an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

4. Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

5. Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @mdatmain 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question.

I think you need to install Gateway and turn on the schedule refresh in your Power BI Service Setting.

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jihwankim1975/

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.