Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

CJvanUffelen

Propagating row level security with shared datasets

Hello,

I am pretty new to Power BI and have made a design for shared datasets in my organization based on logic, but I can't get Row Level Security to work.

The design:

A central workspace with centralized shared datasets like Dim_Company and Fact_Hours

A shared dataset with a RLS table, columns user and project. In this dataset I implemented RLS.

The users can view the workspace and have build permissions on all datasets. I want to reuse Fact_Hours a lot, so my plan was to take the RLS table and add it to Fact_Hours. Here we get to the first problem. When I link these tables I don't get the option to apply security on the relationship. My next try was to import the RLS table into Fact_Hours and setup row level security this works.

But reusing this dataset in other models introduces the same problem, other tables are not filtering based on the RLS table because the option to apply security is not there. RLs is not propagating.

I know composite models are quite new, but this propagating functionallity seems essential for Enterprise moddeling.  Am I missing something? Setting everything up RLS in all the final datasets will introduce a lot of maintenance.

I can't find a PBI Idea for it, so probably I am doing something wrong. Any help will be much appriciated.

1 REPLY 1
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@CJvanUffelen 

As far as I know, there is no Propagating feature with Power BI RLS, you cannot pass RLS from 1 dataset to another. My suggestion is you can combine the 2 datasets into 1 by connecting the used datasources into 1 single pbix file. Then create a relationship between the RLS table and the Dim tables.

Best Regards

Paul Zheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.