Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

croberts21
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Previewing a table is taking 15+ minutes.

I"m using Remote Desktop on Windows to get to a computer that has Power BI on it. PBI connects to a Postgresql database via ODBC. One of the other guys who use PBI got advice from Microsoft to use ODBC with Postgresql. I'm trying to connect to one of the tables for the first time on this machine. It's a small table with, at most, 1000 records. And the "Preview is evaluating" has been going on for 15+ minutes.

The computer running PBI has a hard drive, which means, PBI can be slow. But I didn't know it was this slow. Other uses may RDP into this machine and might be using it also. The other person who uses PBI is not available for me to ask questions.

Is this normal for other databases? Is it normal for ODBC or Postgresql?

I'd be interested in any suggestions you may have for me.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @croberts21 ,

You can refer the following documentations to connect to PostgreSQL by using PostgreSQL or ODBC connector:

PostgreSQL To Power BI: 3 Best Ways To Connect

Connecting PostgreSQL to PowerBI

If you connect to PostgreSQL with import connectivity mode,  please select the SQL statement field under Advanced options, and paste or enter your native database query just as below screenshot. Later check whether the table can be loaded faster...

yingyinr_0-1646028124102.png

And please check the setting of the following options:

1. File--> Options --> Background Data

yingyinr_1-1646028403501.png

2. File--> Options --> Preview features

yingyinr_2-1646028465345.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @croberts21 ,

You can refer the following documentations to connect to PostgreSQL by using PostgreSQL or ODBC connector:

PostgreSQL To Power BI: 3 Best Ways To Connect

Connecting PostgreSQL to PowerBI

If you connect to PostgreSQL with import connectivity mode,  please select the SQL statement field under Advanced options, and paste or enter your native database query just as below screenshot. Later check whether the table can be loaded faster...

yingyinr_0-1646028124102.png

And please check the setting of the following options:

1. File--> Options --> Background Data

yingyinr_1-1646028403501.png

2. File--> Options --> Preview features

yingyinr_2-1646028465345.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you. I'm having more problems with connecting to some tables in our db and not others. How do I find out what our native database query would be for connecting to Postgresql via ODBC? Neither me nor the IT peope would know this. Our IT department is responsible for configuring this, I'm just a user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.