Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Gevans64
Frequent Visitor

Preparing Access Database for BI Dashboards

Hi,

I'm new to databases and power BI and have run into an issue that I wasn't expecting.  

I have created an Access database with several tables and queries, however when I open the database (.accdb) in Power BI, the queries are not there, only the tables.  

I'm most likely missing something very simple, but could really do with some guidence. 

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Gevans64,

I create a simple query in Access database, when I connect to Access database from Power BI Desktop, the Access query shows up in Power BI Desktop Navigator, please take a look at the following screenshots.
1.PNG2.PNG

In your scenario, please check that if you have any functions in the Access queries. If you have functions, please remove them from Access queries, then check if these queries come back in Power BI Desktop Navigator. There is a similar thread for your reference.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Gevans64,

I create a simple query in Access database, when I connect to Access database from Power BI Desktop, the Access query shows up in Power BI Desktop Navigator, please take a look at the following screenshots.
1.PNG2.PNG

In your scenario, please check that if you have any functions in the Access queries. If you have functions, please remove them from Access queries, then check if these queries come back in Power BI Desktop Navigator. There is a similar thread for your reference.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your response.

I've managed to solve the issue, by removing the query criteria in the Access database and instead adding it within Power BI.

Is this a known issue and something we have to live with.?

Many Thanks 

Hi @Gevans64,

Access and Power BI Desktop are different technologies, I am afraid that Power BI Desktop can’t recognize the functions you involved in Access queries.

What effect do the functions take in your Access queries? 

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Fortunately, all of the criteria I was using in Access can be applied in BI easily [it was only a filter].

Thanks again for the help, It's all working now.

I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions soon though 🙂

Hi @Gevans64,

Glad to hear the issue is solved.  You can accept helpful replies as answer, that way, other community members will easily find the solution when they get same issues.

When you have other issues about shaping data and creating reports in Power BI Desktop, please open new thread in this forum.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, that sounds about right, Access is treated as a data source only (tables). I may be wrong, I try not to work with Access if at all humanly possible.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.