Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CBO2404
Helper I
Helper I

Powerbi analyze survey questions. Filter one visual shows answers of the selected attendees.

I made a survey in Forms and load it into powerBI. 
The table I made has 3 columns: ID, Question and Answer. See picture below.
In my example, I want to be able to click "Man" in the Gender visual.
What I want to see in the other 2 visuals is all the answers to other questions filled in by a man.
When I try, the other visuals becomes empty.

Does anyone know how I can do this filtering without filter on question only on ID??
Surveyresults.jpg

Surveyresultstable.jpg 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
halfglassdarkly
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

The easiest way to achieve this would be to structure your table differently by pivoting your Q+A columns in PowerQuery so each question / answer appears in its own column. That way filtering e.g. on Gender will include all records with that gender, not just the records where the question is Gender as in your current table structure.

See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/pivot-columns-power-query-abc9c8da-3be9-44c4-886e-0be331a... 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
halfglassdarkly
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

The easiest way to achieve this would be to structure your table differently by pivoting your Q+A columns in PowerQuery so each question / answer appears in its own column. That way filtering e.g. on Gender will include all records with that gender, not just the records where the question is Gender as in your current table structure.

See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/pivot-columns-power-query-abc9c8da-3be9-44c4-886e-0be331a... 

thanks for your quick reply.
Only this does not work on questions with more than 1 answer option.
Then for every question of that type I have to make an extra table with a relationship on ID (both ways)
Or do you have any suggestion for this problem?
I have about 100 questions and 1/3 may have more than 1 answer option.....
A lot of work......:-(

Relation.jpg

You might be able to cheat and use the original (un pivoted) table to filter the pivoted table by ID, instead of needing seperate filter tables for each multi answer question? However you may still run into issues with which table to use for which visual if you need each user selection to filter all the other visuals.

Then I get the same problem as in the beginning 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.