Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mrbajana
Helper III
Helper III

PowerQuery Unpivot o Pivot

Spoiler

I have this case where the data is received in this structure per year and 12 months in every column. As I do in PowerQuery so that it is in a structure which I can model for the reports.

Received:

recived.png

Wanted:

desire.png

Data : https://1drv.ms/x/s!Amrv4wqX-_hsinzPJ4TTNc41DhMN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mrbajana ,

I've created a handy function for a part of what @Michiel has described here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/06/19/unpivot-by-number-of-columns-and-rows-in-powerbi-and-power...

After the unpivot, you simply have to select the column with the desired column names and pivot (back) on them.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Michiel
Resolver III
Resolver III

The main 'trick' is called exactly what you ask for: unpivot columns. Or: unpivot other columns, which is often more useful. It takes the name of columns and turns these into values in a new colum, and unpivots the rest.

The problem in your file is that you have three rows containing labels, and you need one column header for unpivot to work. I would do it this way:

1. Transpose everything (Transpose is also a Power Query transformation)

2. The top three rows will be the first three columns. Merge these into one by concatenating the values (I would insert a delimiter between them)

3. Transpose everything back

4. Use the 'Use first row as headers' option to turn the now combined labels as column headers

5. Unpivot

6. Split the column with the header again into three separate columns.

Hi @mrbajana ,

I've created a handy function for a part of what @Michiel has described here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/06/19/unpivot-by-number-of-columns-and-rows-in-powerbi-and-power...

After the unpivot, you simply have to select the column with the desired column names and pivot (back) on them.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

PowerQuery is Magic thank you very much for your help!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.