Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DS1060
Regular Visitor

PowerBi Desktop: Cant publish to sharepoint list Integration?

Hello experts,

I made a PowerBI report from a Sharepoint List using the menu from Sharepoint List "Integrate\Power BI\Visualize the list". 

I went editing and "Publish to list". Everything work fine. Now users who have access to the list can go to that menu and open my report.

But I cant add measurements via the web interface, I tried to add calculated column in the Sharepoint List so I would be able to use the web version of PowerBI but all calculated column from sharepoint list are considered as text in PowerBI even if its result is set to number.

So, I downloaded PowerBI Desktop to be able to add measurements fields. Everything work but I cant publish the report back to the Sharepoint List. I want my report accessible from the list.

So following this experience, I have 2 questions.

1- Is it possible to make PowerBI consider the calculated columns from the sharepoint list as numbers?

2- Is it possible to publish a report to a sharepoint list to make it available throught the "Integrate/Power BI/..." menu?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have read the web page you mentionned about the REST. Seems to be for web site developpers using javascript or C#. I just want to be able to to publish the report to the "integrate" section of the sharepoint list with few clicks.

DS1060_0-1665756161847.png

I will have to find a easier work arround.

Thinking about using power automate on new item created/modified on the list to update columns values so I will be able to use these values with the web PowerBI and use the "Publish to the list" button as I cant do that with the Desktop version.

DS1060_1-1665757707450.png

Just sad that you just cant use  calculated column from Sharepoint List in PowerBI or add measurement in the web PowerBI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DS1060 ,

Current sharepoint connector seems not work for culated columns, please use rest api to get data from sharepoint.

Working with folders and files with REST | Microsoft Learn

Follow below steps to connect to your SharePoint List

• Open Power BI Desktop and in the Home tab of the ribbon, select Get data > More.
  • Select Online Services, then select SharePoint Online List.
  • Select Connect.
  • Find the address (also known as a URL) of your SharePoint Online site that contains your list.
  • In Power BI Desktop, paste the address into the Site URL field in the open dialog box.
  • You may or may not see a SharePoint access screen like the following image.
  • Select Sign In and enter the user name and password you use to sign in to Microsoft 365.
  • When you finish signing in, select Connect.
  • On the left side of the Navigator, select the checkbox beside the SharePoint list you want to connect to.
  • Select Load. Power BI loads your list data into a new report.

vhenrykmstf_0-1665734937641.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have read the web page you mentionned about the REST. Seems to be for web site developpers using javascript or C#. I just want to be able to to publish the report to the "integrate" section of the sharepoint list with few clicks.

DS1060_0-1665756161847.png

I will have to find a easier work arround.

Thinking about using power automate on new item created/modified on the list to update columns values so I will be able to use these values with the web PowerBI and use the "Publish to the list" button as I cant do that with the Desktop version.

DS1060_1-1665757707450.png

Just sad that you just cant use  calculated column from Sharepoint List in PowerBI or add measurement in the web PowerBI.

Thank you very much for your awnser. I will take a look on that REST service documentation.

Seems to be the solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.